Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hamstrung!! season may be over. >

Hamstrung!! season may be over.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hamstrung!! season may be over.

Old 11-26-2003, 04:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Hamstrung!! season may be over.

My buddy calls me last night and tells me that he hit a buck and needs help tracking it. I drive out to the hunting lodge and get my stuff on and meet him where he shot the deer. He was refusing to leave staying on yote patrol.
Anyway, we start tracking. Good blood (really good blood). We get to a ridge and at the crest of the ridge is a fallen down tree. I go to step over the tree and my left foot gets hung up while my right leg continues on down the hill. Something was not natural about that. OUCH!! Felt like I could actually feel the muscle pulling off the bone or something. It ripped my hamstring to shreds.
My buddy is convincing me that he' s gonna get the 4 wheeler and take me back. I said why don' t we find your buck then get the 4 wheeler and take us both back. After fighting over it for a few minutes I won and we continued. Luckily the buck was only about 100 more yards (nice 7 pointer).
So I wake up this morning with the intentions of using a crutch or walking stick or something to get to the closest stand, but I find myself barely being able to sit. This thing is bad, feels like I' m lugging around a 4" x 4" . Can' t quite come up with a way that I can possibly hunt. Lay down on a ridge or something I dunno. Sucks. Anyway I just felt like venting.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hamstrung!! season may be over.

Glad you all found the deer,shame about you messing yourself up though, take it easy for a few days, who knows it might just be a minor muscle pull and you will recover quickly.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Taz. I' d give it a few days of rest and see how it feels. I' ve done that once in a similar situation and it only hurt for about 3 days.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take it easy for a few days--ice for two days then maybe bengay or icyhot.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:34 AM

I' ve heard deer are really attracted to the smell of icy-hot!!!
Old 11-26-2003, 07:38 AM

take it easy for a few days, who knows it might just be a minor muscle pull and you will recover quickly.
I also agree with Tazmyster

Hopefully it is not that bad and good Luck
Old 11-26-2003, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

If it' s a torn hamstring...stay away from icyhot or bengay for now. JUST ICE. 20 minutes on half hour off. Keep doin that. A hamstring is very difficult to repair itself. Keep icing......even after the point you THINK it' s at 100%. If it is really torn....you' ll have a pretty good size bruise on the back of your leg today (will cover the whole leg). If there is no bruise, then you just strained. Either way, ICE THE HELL OUT OF IT. Also.....do not put any heat on it. Let me say that again......DO NOT PUT ANY HEAT ON IT. Heat will make it feel better for a while, but it prmotes swelling and the hamstring will not heal.

Speaking of swelling, keep it raised, as high as you can anyway. Raising a leg with a hamstring injury if a chore in itself. Jusy try to keep it above the heart (lying down obviously). This will also combat swelling, which hinders healing. Also, take ibprofin. Motrin, advil, or generic, it' s all the same. Ibprofin is a anti-imflamitory.

Just remember to ice it as much as possible especially in the next couple days. Then continue to ice. After you feel it is getting better, start stretching it out.....SLOWLY!!!!!!!!

good luck, and I hope you can get back into the field soon.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about your injury. justhrowit has got the right advice for you. Ice now, the heat (icyhot) is for loosening up tight muscles, not for healing a serious tear of pull.

I had to quit hunting before the rut started this year, and it was tough. My surgery was more important though, and the Dr. says I am cancer free now, so it was worth it.

Hope your injury is not as bad as you are thinking now, and you will be able to get back out there.

Congrats on finding the deer!
Old 11-26-2003, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

I know that feeling all to well, Last year a week and a half before the end of season, I broke my ankle, you should have seen me hobbling in the woods to a stand with a cast on and several socks over it,with an untied boot to cover, it was horrible, some days I tried to hunt, but the terrain was just to rough to walk with out feeling tremendous pain, it is not worth it, take a few days to relax, then take it easy, real easy.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear of your accident. Heal up quick and good luck!!

Quick Reply: Hamstrung!! season may be over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.