HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is it a " true" hunt putting a deer out of his misery? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/44235-true-hunt-putting-deer-out-his-misery.html)

badshotbob 11-24-2003 03:45 PM

Is it a " true" hunt putting a deer out of his misery?

2-1/2 seasons, finally broke the dry spell. Shot a decent 6pt. with my muzzleloader. I know this is the bowhuning forum, but would appreciate input on this question about killing an injured animal - with any kind of weapon - is it a " true" hunt?

My wife see' s a buck running through the pasture on three legs so she tries to push it my way hoping I would get a shot to end its suffering. I could clearly see the buck was injured so I took him. I' m happy because it' s my first with a muzzleloader, but am left with a bad feeling about this whole deal because I took an already shot up injured animal with a dangling right front hoof that was more or less pushed to me. I' m fine with taking an animal out of it' s misery and wouldn' t hesitate to do it again. However I don' t feel like it was a " true" hunt if there is such a thing - like all the hogs seen on this forum that skilled hunters patterned and took with pride. It' s venison, and the boy' s going on the wall for the misery he went through, so hey, whatever. Just thought I' d try and get some opinions on this. Pic over at blackpowder board if interested. Thanks.
Bob

liquidorange 11-24-2003 03:58 PM

RE: Is it a " true" hunt putting a deer out of his misery?

this is a side of hunting that can happen and without a doubt you did the right thing and if anything you should feel proud . now go clean your your muzzleloader and get back out there and enjoy your future hunts.you will be rewarded and you sound like a true responsible hunter . :eek:

royak 11-24-2003 03:59 PM

You did the right thing and yes it was a hunt the deer could have gone anywhere at all. And dont we nearly always depend on someone to drive tnem one way or another.

BenfromVa 11-24-2003 04:03 PM

well I guess your not that " bad" of a shot Bob.

I have seen deer many times that had a gimp leg, they seemed to be able to hold their own when running off with other deer. So was the deer likely to recover? I think absent a front leg is really no big deal for most animals, Heck I keep seeing a 3 legged cat hanging around my work complex that seems to do just fine. As far as tthe push? well I have watched many a hunting show that had soft pushes in them, I know that Milo Hansons Record Buck was harvested durring a push, he does not deny it at all, Does that make it any less of a deer? Only you and your ethics can detemine what YOU think. I say be proud of your animal. Not everybody puts in the time, some are just lucky,some are good, That does not change the fact they took a deer.

Belle Island 11-24-2003 04:57 PM

No matter how much time you put in, you still need ALOT of luck to get a mature buck within bow range. Luck that the wind doesn' t swirl, luck that the buck decides to travel during daylight, luck that he comes your way, luck that he follows the trail your hunting, luck he stops in a shooting lane, luck he doesn' t bust you drawing, luck etc etc etc. Obviously, hard work and experience will place the odds on your side, but in reality it' s just a game of luck. I' m dang glad I' ve been lucky the last 10+ years :D

DaveH 11-25-2003 03:39 AM

Lots of things can happen which can " push" deer to you. Many times you don' t even know about them.

hardluck71 11-25-2003 04:08 AM

Ethics: What makes you feel like you have done the right thing. Taking a wounded animal is very, very, very ethical.

A true hunt: Yes it was a true hunt. There is no question about it. I know that we all would have done the same thing.

GR8atta2d 11-25-2003 05:21 AM

I can understand your feeling. No, it doesn' t quite feel the same as taking a healthy deer, but you did do the right thing.

(as long as your shot was the killing shot...and ..not fired into the air to scare away the little kid dragging it out!)

davidmil 11-25-2003 05:53 AM

He came, you shot, you ate... it' s a kill/hunt/ anything you want to call it. Get over it.

wimp 11-25-2003 06:15 AM

They all don' t come scrpited as you' d like. Take it how it comes and be proud.

Bobby Labonte didn' t cry when Elliot cut his tire on the last lap and Bobby won the race.