Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When is a hail mary justified? >

When is a hail mary justified?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When is a hail mary justified?

Old 11-24-2003, 04:18 AM

Default RE: When is a hail mary justified?

When a wounded deer is involved, I think there should be no yardage restrictions. Go for it. Take that 70 yard shot if you don' t mind loosing an arrow.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:34 AM

A hail mary is justified when you are down by 6 with :10 remaining and you have 45 yrds to go to the end zone.

What you did was pure ethics. You did the right thing. No need to question what you did.

One request: Please post the pics of the deer when you find him because you will find him. A kick means a good hit.

Good Luck and keep us informed
Old 11-24-2003, 06:36 AM

I would have done the same thing.

Was the wound fresh? I have seen many three legged deer and most seem to come from the hay machines that the farmers use. They heal up just about all the time (unless the whole deer is shredded!). I too would say that these are common. They look like hell when they walk but when they run, the only seem to limp and sway a little.

If it was gun season and the buck looked freshly wounded I' d shoot. But if it was an old healed wound, he is just like every other deer in the herd and I would keep to my limits.

Greg
Old 11-24-2003, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Tough call, no doubt. However I do agree that deer have survived worse and this deer may make it. Can' t say what I would have done.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:55 AM

I' d have let the arrow fly. The only thing I might have done differently would have been to let him pass then stalked him to within my range.