Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is It Okay To Set Game Cameras Close To Your Stand? >

Is It Okay To Set Game Cameras Close To Your Stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is It Okay To Set Game Cameras Close To Your Stand?

Old 11-22-2003, 04:08 PM

Default Is It Okay To Set Game Cameras Close To Your Stand?

Here is my situation. I am hunting a buck that is leaving crazy amounts of sign right at my stand. He has about 12 scrapes and 5-6 rubs within sight of my stand. I have only seen the buck once so I do not have a pattern on him. All I know is that every day that I return to my stand he has left some more sign. I have a non-typical deer cam and was thinking that I should set it up on one of the scrapes and find out when he is returning to check his scrapes. My question is will setting up the camera on the scrapes scare the buck and make him abandon the scrapes?
Old 11-22-2003, 04:18 PM

Default RE: Is It Okay To Set Game Cameras Close To Your Stand?

It shouldnt hurt anything. Cameras at our blinds take pictures of the same deer all the time.

Look at your lunar hunting charts and hunt those times as well as yur morning and evening hunt. Or just sit on your blind all day. You' ll get him.

Old 11-22-2003, 06:19 PM

My camera showed the same buck coming by my stand between 2 and 4 AM!
(nice huh?)
Camera never seemed to bother him.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:00 PM

Anyone else?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:01 AM

have put cameras by my stands, doesn' t seem to bother them, took a picture of a doe that i had missed out of the stand and she came back to get her picture taken,
how do i know it was her? i cut her across the back bone.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

My camera has taken pictures with some deer looking directly at the camera, raccoons, squirrels, bear, etc--I' ve even got pictures of a fox stalking and then eating a chipmunk.
Doesn' t seem to spook them and some pictures have shown the ' same' deer on different dates. I have learned more about my spots while using the camera and have even seen some pictures of deer taken by the camera, deer which I have not seen while in my stands.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:33 PM

My understanding is that the camera/flash does not bother deer if it is quiet. However, it is my experience that the scent that we leave behind while checking camera/changing film does spook deer. I have had times where I got entire rolls of film in a week (in NH!), followed by fewer and fewer pics...down to zero! I am convinced that I had been leaving scent behind, and the deer got spooked.

So...once again...it comes back to scent control.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve taken a ton o pictures, and really don' t think it matters. I' ve been on my stand with the camera taking photos right in front of me.(during the day) If you want the see the buck that playing with you, you' ll get his photos but they' ll be between 10 and 4 at night. You just have to figure out how to make him slip up and or hunt him clod=ser to his bedding area.

Good Luck!
Old 11-24-2003, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

I know a guy that had his camera up the trail and one morning he saw it flash right at the beginning of shooting light. The deer came in, but he didn' t think it was big enough. He said it looked pretty good but had short tines, but it was hard to see.

Got the film developed when he left the stand...He was a pig! The guy was sick, he said he didn' t even try to keep him around until he could tell for sure.[:-]
Old 11-25-2003, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the info!!!

Quick Reply: Is It Okay To Set Game Cameras Close To Your Stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.