HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   rut in maryland (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/43103-rut-maryland.html)

ac00buck 11-13-2003 03:36 PM

rut in maryland

rut in montgomery county md in full swing 11-13-03

saw several bucks chasing and one nice 8 tending a doe along a fence row next to the road.

3 days prior saw 3 1&1/2 and 1 2&1/2 year old bucks all paired up like a bachelor group. can anybody explain. I was not interested in harvesting the small rack deer but still tried grunting and even rattling . these deer were only 35-40 yards from my tree and were not even curios. I had dragged a piss rag to my stand they walked all over it but never tried to follow the source . are these bucks to young or gay. I have seen several spike buck chasing does before.
thanks 00buck

bowhuntererman 11-13-2003 03:45 PM

RE: rut in maryland

Hi there 00buck, I hunt in southern maryland and have not seen much rut activity. With the hot temperatures for almost 2 weeks striaght then the rain and now the wind there hasnt been much going on.

What we need is about 3 or 4 days of mild to cold temps with little or no rain and I think the Rut will be on hard and fast. With this current cold/windy front moving through the last 2 days hopefully when the wind calms down we will see some activity.

GL, Dave

JackButt 11-13-2003 03:53 PM

ac00buck,

No rut here as of yet, but it is typically a little later down here. Where at in Montgomery County do you hunt??? I hunt the eastern shore mostly.

Jack

Rickmur 11-13-2003 04:47 PM

Monday and Tuesday I hunted in Benidict (Charles Co) and didnt see any rut activity. Lots of old rubs and scrapes were present but nothing fresh. Had a heavy 1 antlered (3 pts on the one antler) come to me both days at 7 in the morning. It was his bedding area. He was useing the same area two days straight and was by himself so he either wasn' t participating in the rut or it wasn' t on at that time. I will be in the Briggs Channy Rd area of Montgomer Co tomorrow and Sat. Hope what you say is evident.;).

highcountryuser 11-13-2003 05:28 PM

here in garrett country the rut is on saw lots of bucks running does.. but no luck yet at sticking one..[:@]

Solax 11-14-2003 07:06 AM

I' m in St. Mary' s Co. and I haven' t seen any " Hard Core" evidence yet. My buddy did take a HUGE 10 pointer on Monday and I' m seeing deer all over the fields and roads. They' re definitely moving, don' t know if the rut is in full swing quite yet though.

Good luck to you all.

DaveH 11-14-2003 08:25 AM

It' s in full swing here. Both at my favorite spot and here at home, bucks are all over the does and I hear a lot of grunting. The giant I missed responded to rattling after snort wheezing away another bruiser. I' ve been seeing shooter bucks in places where I usually only see does. If the stinkin' wind ever stops, I' m planning on getting back out before my vacation ends this weekend.