Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you tell your best hunting buddy? >

Would you tell your best hunting buddy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you tell your best hunting buddy?

Old 11-12-2003, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Would you tell your best hunting buddy?

Would you tell your best friend about a great buck you' d seen if you were hunting the same property. I mentioned in another post that I' ve seen a good one and my hunting buddy doesn' t know anything about him. I personally like to share my hunting stories with this guy but I' m a little leary about sharing the info since we hunt the same property. If I did tell him, I would get first stand choice because I saw him first from one of my stands. I guess it don' t make much difference because he' s going to hunt this property anyway and if the buck comes by him first, he gets the opportunity whether I tell him or not. However, if I don' t tell him, he might not try as hard. I was just curious what everyone would do, I' ll probably tell him if I don' t get the deer before I see him.
By the way, that big rascal was standing about 30 yards from my side porch this morning as I left for work.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:07 PM

Default RE: Would you tell your best hunting buddy?

Maybe he already knows and isnt telling you!! When it comes to hunting I keep everything to myself until after bow season is over. I put to much time and effort into the season scouting and hunting to just give up the info for someone else that didnt do the same amount of work. Good luck with the deer..
Old 11-12-2003, 12:08 PM

My hunting partners are exactly that, Parners in hunting. I' d tell them anything and everything to motivate them as much as me to get out there and hunt. I' d even suggest to them to use one of my stand sites over theirs if I had seen more deer out of mine.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:26 PM

My hunting buddies and I share everything - we' re friends. Out of respect, we' d never move in on someone else' s buck. In fact, if we were hunting the same area, we might even back off from hunting it, unless the friend ask us to keep hunting there.

A situation like this will tell you who your real friends are. Do you want to find out?
Old 11-12-2003, 12:28 PM

I' m like Lefty, I tell both my brothers and my dad. We leave each other allone for the most part any way and every one is happy.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:32 PM

I only have one buddy that hunts up behind my house with me. He' s not a great shot or a very good archery hunter. For that reason, when I started seeing the big bucks as the rut rolled around, I didn' t tell him. He doesn' t practice scent control, comes and goes on a whim (spooking everything with it), and wounded a doe at 15 yards earlier in the season. I personally did not want him near my stands or the bucks and doing one of two things: 1. wounding them, or 2. spooking them away from the stands. The third option, him getting one of the bucks, would have been OK with me if I thought there was a better than 20% - 30% chance of that happening before the first two.

I kind of side with Parker1 on this. I don' t want someone who hasn' t done their homework or work as hard as I do ruining my chances if I can help it. Maybe I' m selfish.

BTW, really good friends and relatives are a completely different matter. I' ll bend over backwards to help them.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:34 PM

I' d share this info with my friend, it wouldn' t matter to me which one of us bagged it if we ever did but I would sleep easy at night knowing I didn' t have any secrets from my partner. IMO Don' t taint the friendship with this share the info and even try to arrange to help each other bag this sucker..... i.e. have him push through one day attempting to drive the deer by you for a shot the next return the favor and push for him... and you know the pusher might just be the one to get the shot if the buck circles back..... never know till it happens but I' d at least share the info.... you never know your friend might just surprise you.
Best o luck
Old 11-12-2003, 12:45 PM

Just last week a guy at my club gave me a funny look and asked me why I never see anything except when I shoot one.
Plenty of time to talk about what you see after the season, if you' re serious about hunting big bucks, it' s best to keep it to yourself.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:47 PM

Do you want him withholding info from you? I share seven stands with a friend, and we both give and get reports after each was out. There are no " my stand, your stands" . He took a nice 4x after I told him about it about a week ago. I had a chance at him and blew it. I' m just glad we got him, and I also had a chance to hunt a 5x he had been trying to get. I guess it depends on what kind of guy he is. If I knew that he' d withhold info, I probably would also but it doesn' t make for a very good hunting partner.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

There' s a lot of variables that go into this one, e.g., quality of friendship, depth of relathionship, etc.

I can relate to by23856 in that my hunting buddy I' ve been going with for the past several years just seems to keep making marginal shots at best; I' ve watched him shoot a an easy P&Y-candidate high in the shoulder while coming right at him (we lost him, even with me talking a friend into flying me over the area where we lost the blood trail in his private plane for over thirty minutes with me looking through binos), gut shot two does (one lost, one luckily hit a major artery and fell in sight), shoot a turkey with a pass-thru, watch it for a while as it regained its senses and flew off, and shoot a bobcat only to lose it because he was too impatient on the blood trail.

You think I' m telling this guy about a record-book buck in my area? No way.

Quick Reply: Would you tell your best hunting buddy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.