Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting in Jersey >

Hunting in Jersey

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in Jersey

Old 11-11-2003, 10:45 PM

Default Hunting in Jersey

I just got lic this summer and was wondering if someone can guide me in starting my first hunt in New Jersey.

Thx,
Old 11-12-2003, 04:06 AM

Default RE: Hunting in Jersey

Obviously you live here or you would have picked another state. Hopefully you are a college graduate, you' ll need at least a Bachelors Degree to figure out the laws and regulations.

Find someone to hunt with and learn from/with them. Over the last few years, the state has been buying up land right and left. For deer hunting, after opening day, the state land is less crowded than it used to be. If you have some private land, your lucky, take advantage of that. Do you have any connections to join a club? That is an easier way to get land to hunt on and to have a group of people to show you the ropes.

Get out often and watch. Pay attention to everything and try to figure out how what you notice will play into a hunt. How you can use a situation, a landform, a oak grove, the other hunters, and on and on. Put the patterns together and you will begin to be successful.

If you just received your licence then you took the hunter training class put on by the state. That is a start but you need to spend time out hunting. Just be safe and never do anything that would make any other hunter look bad.

Greg
Old 11-12-2003, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting in Jersey

We are in " permit" season now. That means you have to buy a tag for the specific area you plan to hunt. So, get out the state game book and find some areas that appeal to you. As was said, there is a decent amount of state land within an hour drive of just about anywhere in the state.

The only good thing about NO SUNDAY HUNTING is that it gives you a day to scout around without bumping into folks hunting. You can trim shoooting lanes, mark trails and get a feel for woods. That' s what I did this year and I have seen lots of deer (No Shots though!). Then buy the permit for that area.

Don' t leave your stand(s) in the woods as it might not be there when you come back[X(]

good luck and wear your safety harness,

UR

PS NY southern tier gun season opens up Monday(?) so the woods near me have been especially empty.