Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2 Bucks in 3 Days- ASAT for Sale!! (pics) >

2 Bucks in 3 Days- ASAT for Sale!! (pics)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 Bucks in 3 Days- ASAT for Sale!! (pics)

Old 11-11-2003, 09:19 AM

Default 2 Bucks in 3 Days- ASAT for Sale!! (pics)

The attached photos are of my largest buck to date, and I got him from the ground at 12 yards!!! I have never still (ground) hunted in my life before this.

The short story is that I couldn' t decide which of my two stands I wanted to hunt because after hunting out of both the previous two days, I saw the bigger bucks sneaking through the thicker saplings and cedars 50-60 yards away but never coming down the trails leading past my stands. I knew what trails they were using, but couldn' t get a stand in there because of the thick saplings and lack of larger trees. So, as I stood there between the two stands (they' re only about 80 yards apart) trying to decide which one to through my luck to on my last day of hunting, I noticed two small bucks 40 yards away that apparently didn' t know I was there. It dawned on me then to put my new ASAT 3D suit to the test and try ground hunting. So, with all the stealth of a bull in a china shop, I started moving through the woods towards the trail I wanted to try ambushing these bigger bucks on. I hadn' t moved ten yards when I heard this buck trotting behind me, about 45 yards away. He had no idea I was there, even though he had a clear line of site to me and
I had just stopped moving after taking three steps to get to another patch of moss to kneel on.

He moved up into the cedars and saplings where I watched him run around in the day before and start sniffing around an area that the does often bed in at midday. While he was circling that area, approximately 40 yards away, I was able to move another 10 yards to set up in a dense bunch of saplings, about 8 yards behind some small cedars that separated me and this buck. I checked for shooting lanes and bow clearance and knelt on one knee to wait for him to head down a well used trail that cut through all of this thick cover. I caught glimpses of him and a couple of other bucks and does using this path the day before. As I waited I was able to catch glimpses of his antlers through the branches of the cedars, and after about two minutes I saw him headed down the trail, which would bring him out from behind the cedars at about 15 yards. I began to stand and draw in one motion and got to full draw as he appeared from behind the last cedar. He took three more steps, bringing him to just 12 yards, before realizing something wasn’t right. As he looked in my direction my pin settled on his chest just forward of his left shoulder and as his eyes settled on me I tripped my release and sent my arrow through his chest, angling back to finally hit his last rib on his right side. He only ran 20 yards and folded up. I think I must have hit the arteries coming out of the heart by the amount of blood he spilt in those twenty yards. I actually slipped on it when I was walking up to him. I also got both lungs. I wouldn’t normally take this shot, but being at ground level with no elevated angle to worry about, and being only 12 yards away, I was pretty certain of a clean kill. He has nine points (4x5) with a broken G-3 on his left side.

He was my second deer in three days of hunting, starting last Friday. I got a smaller 8 point on Saturday from one of the stands I was deciding on this day. I called my wife, who was in Pennsylvania with our son visiting my folks, and told her I got one, but it wasn’t one of the big guys I was hoping for, but that he is nice and I was completely happy with him. After a small pause, she asked, bless her heart, “Well, can’t you get another tag? Why don’t you get another and go after your big guy tonight and tomorrow.” This is a woman who isn’t exactly the biggest hunting fan in the world, to say the least.

I could write ten more paragraphs about ASAT camo, but you’ve read them all before. The smaller eight point on Saturday was bagged after I had to sit for an hour and a half in the middle of five does that laid down all around me. Four of them had a clear line of sight to me and I was silhouetted on the skyline to three of those. I knelt and stood two or three times while waiting for them to leave so that I could go back to the house and warm up, and they never noticed me. Finally the eight pointer came along to check them out and I was able to double lung him at 15 yards as he started chasing one of them.

I' ve been joking that after getting my ASAT I would be able to bop deer on the heads as they walk by, but now I' m beginning to believe I actually could!!! So, with that said, I’m selling my ASAT because it just plain isn’t fair to the deer. They just don’t stand a chance anymore. I believe in fair chase.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 2 Bucks in 3 Days- ASAT for Sale!! (pics)

Great story and a dandy buck. I have not bought into the ASAT deal just yet but I have only had one chance to try it so far. Congratulations.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:23 AM

here' s one of my ugly mug...

Old 11-11-2003, 09:26 AM
TWC

Well if you want to get rid of the camo, send it my way.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Brad.

Congrats on a couple of real nice bucks.
I am sure you are going to get the chance to bop a deer on the head
Old 11-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on them both, a well written story also.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Nice buck.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:49 AM

Congrats to you man...Really nice deer and a good story...Jim
Old 11-11-2003, 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

I am sure you are going to get the chance to bop a deer on the head
Thanks, Ausie. I' m taking my Hoyt model billy club out with me next year...
Old 11-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the bucks, very nice.

I haven' t bought into the ASAT thing yet either, to me camo is camo, and I' m still wearing my mix and match patterns that I' ve accumulated over the years.

This season, in just the last 2 weeks, I' ve had two does at two different areas hang out under my stands. They both looked up at me briefly, then looked away when I apparently looked ok to them. I attribute that to good background and no movement. I' ve been in the same areas before, in different trees and gotten busted by deer, so I think your background and movement are more important than camo pattern, either that or I' m tiring of spending my money on all the " gotta have it gadgets"

Quick Reply: 2 Bucks in 3 Days- ASAT for Sale!! (pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.