Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 dad says:  My best accomplishment he' s seen from me in my hunting career. >

dad says: My best accomplishment he' s seen from me in my hunting career.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dad says: My best accomplishment he' s seen from me in my hunting career.

Old 11-11-2003, 08:07 AM

Default dad says: My best accomplishment he' s seen from me in my hunting career.

A similar follow thread to the temptation post. It was the end of an afternoon hunt with my dad. I' m sitting at the corner of a soybean field. It gets dark and my dad radios to me that he' ll meet me near my stand on his way out. So I climb down and get to the bottom rung of the ladder. I look to my left and heading right for me 30 yards away is an absolute monster buck.
This was Saturday night and it was a full moon. It was actually lighter out after dark than it was 10 minutes before dark. I' m frozen to the ladder with my back leaning against it. I see my dad about 60 yards away come to a halt. He saw the buck in front of me. He takes a knee and watches. I gotta be honest. I clipped on my release and knock an arrow. He' s coming right in front of me!! cruises to 10 yards in front of me. My heart is going nuts. Start to position for a shot and think to myself: What the heck are you doing? It' s clearly after hunting hours. Then the bad guy on my other shoulder says: You' ve worked so hard and hunted hard for over 3 weeks now. Everyday.....allday. You deserve this deer!! The good guy finally won the argument. I laid back on the ladder and watched him pass right by. Ultimately I felt darn good about myself, but what an array of emotions.
Our little hunting club prides ourselves on ethical choices. I kinda felt bad even considering taking the shot, but I guess it' s a normal instinct. The fact of the matter is when it was all said and done I made the right choice. I will probably conclude the bow season and get skunked, but oh well I can still sleep at night (kinda).
Anyway my dad patted me on the back and said that' s the best hunt of my life. My greatest accomplishment as a hunter that he' s seen.
oh yeah: Lord please let it pay off for me in the end if you would!!!
Old 11-11-2003, 08:37 AM

Default RE: dad says: My best accomplishment he' s seen from me in my hunting career.

you made a tough decision and should be patted on the back. at least the buck did not bust you so you might still get the shot on another day.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: dad says: My best accomplishment he' s seen from me in my hunting career.

You did the right thing man. There' s a lot of guys out there who would' ve taken the shot and not thought twice about it.

Hopefully you get rewarded with an even BIGGER buck!
Old 11-11-2003, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great job, Good ethics are not what you do in a crowd, it' s what you do when no one is watching. I agree with your pops, great choice!
Old 11-11-2003, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

You know I have been tempted quite a bit over the years and resisted also, I am not going to lie and say I go by my watch when it comes to shooting hours, but once it is dark, full moon or not it is dark and the hunt is over. I am sure that over the years I have killed a few that were either 5-10 minutes after or before legal hours, but to me once you have come off stand in the evening the hunt is over.

You should hold your head high, I have seen more than one person I know over the years more than stretch the law, they have flat broken it! You did the right thing. I will be honest and say that I do hold in some guilt over not chastising the ones who were flat breaking the law, but I have made the decision not to hunt with them again.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:03 AM

I agree with Taz. I never really pay much attention to the actual legal quitting time for any particular day, but when I can' t see clearly enough to make a responsible shot I get down out of the tree and the hunt is over...Period!
Old 11-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

You definitely made the right decision. I applaud you for sticking to your guns.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:11 AM

lmao... My father got him this morning!! No wonder he patted me on the back. Monster 10 point!! Killed it out of the same stand. Well I' m glad one of us got it (I think). This is one goofy sport.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:14 AM

You did your job not getting busted by the big buck because he came back through the same spot. Dad hunting out of your spot though and takin the buck...That' s rough man.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

wylie I had to laugh when you said your dad stuck him this morning!!! Sorry but some of us old timers have to be a bit sneaky sometimes to get a big one!!!

Quick Reply: dad says: My best accomplishment he' s seen from me in my hunting career.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.