Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tuning broad heads? >

Tuning broad heads?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tuning broad heads?

Old 11-10-2003, 08:26 PM

Default Tuning broad heads?

i hear people talking about they are gonna go tune theyre broadheads and was wondering what this meant i shot my new hoyt that i got last week with my Blackhawk vapors and a set of Muzzy 4 blade 100grains and they arent as consitant as they were with my Martin so how do i tune my broadheads?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tuning broad heads?

What you basically do is make adjustments to your arrow rest, nock height etc... until your broadheads group together very consistantly at your normal hunting distance.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:32 PM

i guess i get it so basicly your gonna move your rest and reset your sights to your broadheads
Old 11-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you download the Easton tuning chart it will give all the steps.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:49 PM

6pt...

The point of tuning broadheads is as follows.

Many fixed blade broadheads do not fly with the same accuracy as field tips of the same weight. The blades cause planing and the weight distribution is a little bit different.

Tuning broadheads is re-tuning your bow to accurately shoot broadheads.

For example, I shot Easton Carbonaeros Evolution 400' s, tipped with a 100gr Thunderhead with right helical feathers. This is my hunting setup. But I recently ordered some new arrows. Same as above, but had no offset to the fletchings and were fletched with vanes. With fieldtips the flew just as my original arrows, but with the broadheads, they dropped 8" at 30 yds. Instead of adjusting my sights to shoot these, I refletched them with feathers and a right helical. Then, they flew the same as my other arrows. If I had tuned my broadheads, instead of the arrows, I would have adjusted my sights to shoot those, and then my field tips would have been 8" high at 20yds.

With a right helical fletched arrow or mechanical broadheads, this is very little to no problem. Also, there is usually little problem with bows shooting less than 220 fps. My brother on the other hand shoots almost 300 fps with his hunting set up and he can not shoot convential broadheads. He has to shoot mechanical broadheads. The convential(Muzzy, Thunderhead, etc...) heads plane to bad.

If you don' t understand planing. The next time you are driving down the road over 40 mph, put your arm out the window and hold your hand against the wind. When you move it to different angles, you can feel the wind pushing against your hand trying to move it around. This is due to the wind planing.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:19 AM

Last year I shot 4 blade 90 grain Muzzy' s. I spun the arrow with bh attached on a bh tuner, and the tips were rotating everywhere. I tweeked them a little, got them spinning perfectly, and didn' t have to do a thing to the bow. They shot the same as my feild tips. Before I did this, the bh' s were all over the place.

Are your bh' s grouping?