Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
shotguns disturbing deer >

shotguns disturbing deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shotguns disturbing deer

Old 10-20-2021, 09:11 AM
Spike

Default shotguns disturbing deer

Me and a friend of mine hunt on a sportsman's club. Often year round there are people shooting shotguns. the deer hear it all the time. How much does this spook the deer during Archery season? There is no firearm hunting for a while.

If someone is shooting a shotgun well we hunt, would this spook the deer. considering they are only being hunted with bows and arrows, obviously, during firearms season it would be different.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is a good chance the gin fire would bother the deer. Why would you continue to hunt deer where this noise was going on?
Old 10-20-2021, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

you seem to have a lot of worries about things, on this property
maybe find some place new
Old 10-21-2021, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the gunfire is constant year-round there is little chance the Deer are spooked. Some of the best hunting I've had was on military gun ranges. After a while, even artillery fire doesn't spook them. Camp Pendelton tags are some of the best you'll find for Mule Deer in California. World-class Red Deer are to be found in the Grafenwoehr military training area. I've watched them stroll through artillery impact areas.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

We've hold dove shoots on our deer lease - Doesn't seem to effect the deer hunts.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

You do seem to worry about the deer allot. For the most part deer are not bothered by what's going on around them. Fourwheelers, tractors, shooting, hikers, cars, it's all a part of their natural world to them.

Set a stand up in their bedroom and they know.

-Jake
Old 10-23-2021, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO it is all about what they are used to. I've seen them feeding right next to a farm tractor working a field, forestry cutting trees down with chain saws going all day, feeding right next to a busy highway. New and unusual often spooks them. When jogging first became a thing many Deer would bolt in terror when a running person showed up, same with mountain bikes. They eventually got used to it. The downside to any new fad that takes people to the fields and forests, especially in the springtime, is the Doe get scared off the fawns and sometimes won't come back until nightfall, the fawn lays there all day hungry and thirsty.