Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
For all the bowhunting theorists out there >

For all the bowhunting theorists out there

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For all the bowhunting theorists out there

Old 03-04-2021, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default For all the bowhunting theorists out there

Ive giving a seminar this weekend on broadhead lethality/sharpening and bowhunting for the Wisconson Bowhunters Association's 80th annual convention. Im their corporate sponsor for the even and they asked me to give a talk. This is a little of the content for that talk.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

using the same chart and data your 800 gr arrow beside arriving .2 seconds slower at 60 yards will also have a drop of 154" while the 450 gr arrow will only drop 91". That's over a 5 foot difference. There difference in KE is only 4 ftlbs at this distance. You will have more penetration with your heavy arrow which is definately a plus when shooting at large dangerous game but not really necessary for deer elk or black bear. In sparse cover I would have no problem with shooting a heavy arrow. But hunting in heavy cover with small shooting windows or longer distances like out west for antelope I'd much prefer the lighter faster arrow. Both have their place and sometimes a compromise needs to be taken to give the individual his or her greatest chance at success.
Good luck on your safari and stay safe.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

What game do you plan on hunting on the dark continent?

Last edited by bronko22000; 03-08-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Using the Real tree KE and momentum calculator; (https://www.realtree.com/kinetic-ene...tum-calculator)
My set up:

Your Setup is Suitable for...

This is a stout setup suitable for big game like elk and moose, but just fine for whitetails if you can handle it!

Arrow Weight: 420 grains / Arrow Speed: 300 fps

Kinetic Energy: 83.92 foot-pounds

Momentum: 0.559 slugs

Your set up: (I had to drop you down to 750 gr because that's all the calculator would take so I increased the velocity)

Your Setup is Suitable for...

This rig throws heavy arrows, and with a strong fixed-blade broadhead, it will work on any game animal on the planet.

Arrow Weight: 750 grains / Arrow Speed: 215 fps

Kinetic Energy: 76.97 foot-pounds

Momentum: 0.716 slugs

Other than being slow by today's standards and having a rainbow trajectory there is nothing wrong with your set up. But quite frankly it is more than needed for all but the most dangerous and largest animals.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

"it will work on any game animal on the planet."

Yes. Thats what I hunt with my bow. IF all I hunted was small game like deer and black bear and such, I could reduce my arrow weight a bit.

BUT!
When I do hunt deer and bear and such, I know that no matter what shot angle Im presented or what bone might be blocking the vitals, I wont have to worry in the least.

I DO NOT

worry about trajectory nor arrow speed. So long as the arrow gets there before the season closes, Im good.

KE means very little to the bowhunter. He ought to focus on Momentum and the 650 grain min. bone breaching threshold because at some point a bone will block your path even if you dont wish it to.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
using the same chart and data your 800 gr arrow beside arriving .2 seconds slower at 60 yards will also have a drop of 154" while the 450 gr arrow will only drop 91".
The 0.2 second means nothing to me. as to the arrow drop. Likewise, I could not care less. BUT 91" or 1 million inches is really not the point since rangefinders were invented. Its a must have for the bowhunter that takes game at distances past 30 yards.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I know there is no use in talking to you because you SEEM to know everything there is about bowhunting so I'll just let you do your own thing while we both continue to successfully harvest game with our choice of equipment. So good luck and stay safe.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DIY_guy;4389085 [color=#222222
KE means very little to the bowhunter. He ought to focus on Momentum and the 650 grain min. bone breaching threshold because at some point a bone will block your path even if you dont wish it to.
This is total BS and you know it! Your average bowhunter hunting anything up to and including elk or moose does not need a 650 gr arrow. My set up and my 420 gr arrow has enough KE AND momentum to take any game I want to hunt including elk or moose or bison and I've proven that with complete pass throughs on all.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

LOL at "BS". The Ashby studies are all the validation on the 650 grain bone breaking threshold you will need. "NEED" ??? ll damn sure bet you there are a few that wished they had t when they came home empty handed if only they would have had the proper setup to get the job done. Nobody ever penetrated to deep with an arrow but many dont penetrate deep enough. As far as me knowing EVERYTHING about bowhunting. Yes. well yes I do.

And I dont see why you are getting so upset and emotional over this. Settle down. No need for this to get you so animated.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yea I guess you do! ,LOL. BTW is it easier to shoot deer when they're baited in? I'm sure you know all about that too.
I just wonder how many of your other "successful" hunts are canned hunts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.