Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
DIY homemade broadhead project >

DIY homemade broadhead project

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DIY homemade broadhead project

Old 01-09-2021, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default DIY homemade broadhead project

Ive killed deer and bear with homemade broadheads in the past but they were 2 blade, single bevel designs I built. I shot them at the end of homeade arrows fletched with the feathers of Turkey Id killed. I launched them from a homemade longbow I designed and made.

This DIY homemade broadhead is a bit different. It will weigh 250 grains as that is my preferred weight in a broadhead. Roughly 91% of bowhunters that target deer use a 100 or 125 grain head. Its not my intention to market this head for many reasons but weight is a big one, It would appeal to less than 10% of the bowhunting community and Ive got so many projects in the works I dont have the bandwidth to bring another bowhunting product to market.

Ive got an Africa bowhunt this coming fall and Id like to take them on that traveling bowhunt but there is a lot of testing to do in advance.

Here, Im making the first set of blades. Its a work in progress. Im still waiting on the delivery of some small screws to secure the blades. Then do flight and destructive tests. Then travel around and kill some critters to evaluate performance.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Is there some kind of abrasive in the water of the waterjet cutter?
Old 01-10-2021, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

yes garnet.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you, I always wondered about that.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Here is an update on the project.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

As I work on my own broadhead design and gather the parts Ive designed and made (or have made for me such as the Stainless ferrules I hired out to a company in Lincoln Nebraska) I was able to put the whole package together. 794 grain arrow package. Now I have 2 weeks remaining in the Suburban deer culling program to see how well a big 6 bladed broadhead of my own design passes through big WI does.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

Im continuing to advance this DIY broadhead project.

Making each blade by hand takes some time.

Then (since Im always concerned with tip curl) I made a tanto tip on the leading blade.

Prior to kicking off the blades, I contacted a company in Lincoln Nebraska to make the stainless steel ferrules for me. The design is complicated and requires a Swiss Screw machine to produce the parts due to the complexity and tiny slots and tapped holes in stainless steel. I sent them a 3D cad file Id created as well as a drawing I made of the specs and tolerances. The supplier sent me this photo of the parts prior to shipping them.

Then I assembled the heads and did a non-scientific push test. Here is that video

In order to evaluate the efficacy of any broadhead, one must field test it on things that bleed. After assembling some heads, I set out to accomplish a few things with this field test. Since I do suburban deer culling for a couple municipalities, Im able to target whitetails and I have until the end of January to remove as many as I can.

I wont be evaluating just this prototype broadhead with this field test. I will also be evaluating a arrow mounted telemetry tracking knock ive spent more than 3 years perfecting, I will also be evaluating a thermal imaging capable drone that will be slated for big game carcass location and recovery. Here are the effects of this broadhead on a live test subject. Here is that video

Here is a still photo from the video I made with the thermal imaging drone. This was about a half hour after the deer had expired. I had the drone about 100 feet up. Even the entrance hole from the arrow can be seen.

Im now trying to source the proper thickness of tool steel (preferably O1 tool steel) that I can have water jet cut. I will then do my own heat treating and tempering to make them suitable for broadhead blades. As a custom knife maker, O1 is one of my favorite high carbon steels for blades. Its superior to most stainless steels. The only negative is that is is not corrosion resistant so it will have to be oiled and protected from rust.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

My favorite part of prototype broadhead testing. The tenderloin test.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:10 AM
Typical Buck

I found a source for .04" thick O1 tool steel to make my next batch of blades from. I can harvest about 21 sets of blades from a 6" x 10" long piece of stock. After water jet cutting I will heat treat and temper the steel to a Rockwell hardness in the upper 50's. An order has been place.

At the same time I made the rearward blades a bit larger going from 1 1/8" wide to 1 3/16" and added some venting. The leading blade went from 1" wide to 7/8" .

Old 01-21-2021, 05:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well DIY its like you said in you first post. This will likely only appeal to <10% of the bow hunters out there. I ran your calculations and they are correct. With your set up you do get 77.7 FTLB KE. But with that heavy arrow you're sacrificing a lot of speed (just maybe a tad better than we used to get with a standard recurve bow and average weight arrows way back pre-compound). I also ran my set up through the numbers and my 420 gr arrow at 305 FPS gets me 86.7 FTLB KE.
That's 11.6% more energy and a 45% speed increase.
And while I'm sure your set up would be good for extremely large game like the big bears and possibly even elk at close range because of the momentum it has I really don't see the need for such a set up on whitetails.
But I do admire your ingenuity and your passion for the sport. Good luck BTW that tenderloin looks delicious!

Last edited by bronko22000; 01-21-2021 at 05:35 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.