Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
DIY homemade broadhead project >

DIY homemade broadhead project

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DIY homemade broadhead project

Old 01-21-2021, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well DIY its like you said in you first post. This will likely only appeal to <10% of the bow hunters out there. I ran your calculations and they are correct. With your set up you do get 77.7 FTLB KE. But with that heavy arrow you're sacrificing a lot of speed (just maybe a tad better than we used to get with a standard recurve bow and average weight arrows way back pre-compound).
Yes, those numbers are correct, its your assumption that is incorrect. Speed matters not. I wish folks would give up on the speed fad already. So long as my arrow arrives before the season closes, Im good. Ive been bowhunting for almot 50 years but I still hunt with my homemade longbow that shoots a blazing 195 FPS. Im still passing through deer and black bear. Why? because its not speed we ought to be concerning ourselves with, its Momentum. KE is almost useless to a bowhunter.

I also ran my set up through the numbers and my 420 gr arrow at 305 FPS gets me 86.7 FTLB KE.
That's 11.6% more energy and a 45% speed increase.
But your momentum is lagging far behind mine. Your MO is .569 slug while mine is .74. That is the important calculation you failed to do. speed factors into Momentum but while you have far more speed, you cant come close to producing the pass through force my (what you will call slow) arrows do. Its that pass through force bowhunters covet. (especially when a large bone is hit) Your arrow will arrive faster than mine but I never cared about that, My concern it what happens AFTER the arrow arrives.

https://www.realtree.com/kinetic-ene...tum-calculator

And while I'm sure your set up would be good for extremely large game like the big bears and possibly even elk at close range because of the momentum it has I really don't see the need for such a set up on whitetails.
But I do admire your ingenuity and your passion for the sport. Good luck BTW that tenderloin looks delicious!
If my broadhead will work on large and dangerous game, it will work on small game like deer and black bear. AS for range, that too matters not. My arrow will retain its pass through momentum at great distances while your light and fast arrow will peter out when hitting things at long distances. Ive taken large game at 65 yards with heavy arrows. Distance works to my advantage not yours.

My arrow hits like a bus full of fat guys and keeps on going. Yours gets there faster but hits like a prius full of vegans sipping soy latte. Both will kill the deer but I hunt all manner of species all over the globe, not just deer. As for overkill. No such term exists in bowhunting since I dont have to fear any bone or shot angle.

Dont pay any attention to KE. Dont fret over speed. Build a good flying, well constructed arrow package with the maximum devastation at the tip. My goal is to maximize devastation. I dont care about speed or KE. I want (and get) 2 drain holes, maximum blood letting, short blood trails. I will take this head with me to Africa. I will fear no species there.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 01-21-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I believe we've been through this before and I will still continue to agree to disagree with you on speed doesn't matter. With my set up I've yet to have pass throughs on whitetail, mulies and bison. The only difference between shooting at deer and bison is for deer I use a 100 gr Rage and for bison I used a 100 gr Magnus Stinger 2 blade. Both bison shot were in the lungs. The first went about 70 yards and the second went about 5 feet, stood there for about 10 seconds and fell over dead.
Where we tend to disagree on speed is with distance. Especially in the woods. I hunt predominately in Northeastern PA. and where I hunt it is thick. The pic of the buck in my avatar walked past me while I was looking at a lesser buck. By the time I saw him he was moving through thick cover. Figuring quickly his route and estimating the yardage at 30 yards I had an opening about 4"-6" to shoot through. When he stepped into in I mouth grunted, he stopped, and I let loose hitting him behind the shoulder where he ran about 40 yards and expired. My Nockturnal nock, after passing through the buck was stuck in a black birch tree up to the insert. IMO that's plenty of MO!
Te each their own but I don't think your higher trajectory set up could have made that shot. Over and out.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Well I believe we've been through this before and I will still continue to agree to disagree with you on speed doesn't matter. With my set up I've yet to have pass throughs on whitetail, mulies and bison.
As you state, you are not getting a pass through because you are still falling for the speed fad, worrying more about your arrow in flight than when it actually reached its target. I gets a pass through with constant regularity because I care nothing for speed and focus on momentum. I like 2 holes in animals.

The only difference between shooting at deer and bison is for deer I use a 100 gr Rage and for bison I used a 100 gr Magnus Stinger 2 blade. Both bison shot were in the lungs. The first went about 70 yards and the second went about 5 feet, stood there for about 10 seconds and fell over dead.
I would not even consider a 100 grain head. Thte majority are made with aluminum and wont stand up to the forces my arrows produce.

Broadhead lethality is my line of work. Its not a weekend hobby. Its my livelihood. I have been at this for far too long to fall for the speed fad. But if all I hunted was small game like deer and black bear, I would still opt for the higher momentum setup so I never have to fear any bone or shot angle. But that means must use a broadhead that will come out the other side, in tact.. Thats why im opting for stainless ferrules and O1 tool steel blades. I would not use a rage head if a truck load were dropped off at my house as a gift. Im not one for cheap, single use disposable heads that wont stand up to what I hunt and what I hunt with. But if you are happy. We both win.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I understand the momentum factor perfectly but IMO you are going to the extreme with it. My set up is more than capable of pass throughs for deer and black bear as is yours.
But what you can't seem to grasp because of either your pride or arrogance the with bowhunting you have to sacrifice either speed or momentum to get optimum results from your set up. Heavy and slow isn't always better than speed and lighter. Depending on the game being hunted. Both your set up and mine are perfectly capable of passing through a deer at 30 yards. My set up would have a verticle drop of about 7" whereas yours would be somewhere around 17". A miscalculation by just a couple yards would give you a complete miss where I would hit just a tad lower.
its just simple physics and ballistics. You have to sacrifice one or the other for optimum effect for the game hunted. If I were to go after cape buffalo, elephant or even brown bear I would definitely want a heavier arrow/broadhead combo. But for deer and black bear size game what I have is a proven performer.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

I dont just hunt small game like deer and black bear. Ive taken water buffalo, elk, red stag, a 318 boar hog and Im headed to Africa with this bow. What you fail to grasp because of either your pride or arrogance is that you are mistaken. Im cool with you not understanding or accepting this reality. Having bowhunted all over and for many many species for nearly 50 years, I can assure you that my comments are correct. You do not have to like it or accept it. Nor does it need to cause you to get emotional or upset. Cheers.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 01-25-2021 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DIY_guy
I dont just hunt small game like deer and black bear. Ive taken water buffalo, elk, red stag, a 318 boar hog and Im headed to Africa with this bow. What you fail to grasp because of either your pride or arrogance is that you are mistaken. Im cool with you not understanding or accepting this reality. Having bowhunted all over and for many many species for nearly 50 years, I can assure you that my comments are correct. You do not have to like it or accept it. Nor does it need to cause you to get emotional or upset. Cheers.
Whatever! Continue on hunting with your Lincoln logs if it makes you feel good. Either way both of us will fill our freezers each and every year. BTW I too have been bowhunting for over 50 years, 55 to be exact. Long before the invention of compounds and I was shooting a bow for well over 60 years so I also have an idea of what I'm talking about.
I've also heard quite a few rumors about you that I would not care to respond to here. So I will leave it at that. Good luck to you in you future endeavors.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

Whatever! Continue on hunting with your Lincoln logs if it makes you feel good. Either way both of us will fill our freezers each and every year. BTW I too have been bowhunting for over 50 years, 55 to be exact. Long before the invention of compounds and I was shooting a bow for well over 60 years so I also have an idea of what I'm talking about.
I've also heard quite a few rumors about you that I would not care to respond to here. So I will leave it at that. Good luck to you in you future endeavors.
I laughed.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

Another field test of my 6 blade broadhead

Old 01-26-2021, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations on the doe, But DIY that video doesn't impress me at all. My blood trails with the 2 blade Rage are a lot more impressive.
What would impress me is a 30-40 yard shot in second growth woods like where I hunt. I don't mean open timber where you have a good verticle window to shoot through but a window about 12" around with the animal standing a couple yards beyond the window.
This my friend is where you need speed over momentum. I've made these shots, one up to 43 yards and I'll still got my pass through a red carpet blood trail and the buck only went 20-25 yards
I don't plan on hunting large dangerous game with my bowhunting set up simply so what I have works great for me. But to each their own. And like you said you're product will only be used my about 10% of the bowhunting public. I guess that makes us other 90% wrong!!!!
Old 01-26-2021, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Again, I laughed. (not with you) I created that video just to impress you.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 01-26-2021 at 04:20 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.