HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Screw in bow holder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/424812-screw-bow-holder.html)

ma archer 01-09-2021 02:36 PM

Screw in bow holder

Whenever I hunt from a tree I try to not damage the tree as much as possible. But I have been using those screw-in bow holders. Obviously, it's important for safety and my bow to have those, but are they actually causing any damage to the tree, or is it so minor it doesn't matter.

Also is leaving them in vs taking them out better or worse for the tree.

Bocajnala 01-09-2021 03:09 PM

They're not legal on most public lands I'm guessing. On private land I always make sure to ask the owner before putting anything into a tree.

That being said, it's not much damage to the tree. Trees deal with all sorts of things over their life. And if you screw one in, remove it and come back six months later all you'll see is a little bump or mark on the bark where it has healed itself back up.

But-it's certainly doing more "damage" than if you didn't screw anything in at all.

-Jake

Bocajnala 01-09-2021 03:15 PM

And I should clarify .. Trees don't really heal. They can't go back and replace damaged parts like our flesh can.

Trees basically seal off the area and continue growing. I'm sure there's allot more science to it. But that's my understanding.

-Jake

mrbb 01-09-2021 05:44 PM

I second its a against the law to install them in many state and federal lands,
there are rules against it

on private lands, I also agree if NOT your lands, ask land owners first, better safe than sorry and loose a good spot due to something so small!

as for leaving them in as to taking them out
I will say IMO< leaving them in is better, as your ONLY damaging the tree once and MOST tree's will grow around it like said above, most tree's encounter damages along there lives and most will survive a metal object installed in them, but some are more sensitive than others

I have tree;'s that have had box hooks screwed into them for 20+ yrs and no issue's minus the hooks them self getting damages as the tree has grown over most of it!

IF you screw it in and remove it and repeat, your causing stress to the tree every time you do so!

installing ONCE and leaving it, also the tree IMO< to tolerate it and grow around it!

they do sell strap on hook/holders too if you rather into have to worry about things at all!

Bocajnala 01-10-2021 03:57 AM

I have a ladder stand that's been up for years. Every year I turn the hook out a couple turns. As the tree grows it would eventually grow over the entire hook. So turning it out a little each year seems to work well for me. Hasn't seemed to hurt the tree any.

-Jake