Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
movement in tree stands >

movement in tree stands

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

movement in tree stands

Old 11-09-2020, 03:05 PM
Spike

Default movement in tree stands

If you physically move your body in a treestand, minus the sound does this spook deer. I know they could smell or hear you, but concealed up a tree it would seem hard for them to be able to see you.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO movement is movement up a tree or on the ground and its one the main things deer look for and get alerted to, they have very good eye sight that detects even small movements, and after decades of hunters using tree stands, deer have learned to look up in trees for hunters! all the more so in spots the hunters use over and over again, or same stands that are there yr round!
Old 11-09-2020, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes a deer can see your eyes move 20 feet up.

Other times you can move all over and they aren't bothered.

Your best bet is to hold still. Make your movements when they aren't looking.
-Jake
Old 11-10-2020, 09:30 PM
Spike

Basic hunting etiquette. Don't move. Now deer might not be able to see small movement through extremely thick brush like a turkey. A deers eyesight works like this: bad depth and colour perception but they can see shapes and movement well at a wide angle. If you have to move, move SLOWLY.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

As soon as the woods are bright enough to see, I keep watch in all directions. No sudden movements. I would miss deer slipping through if I didn't keep watching 360 degrees. I rarely hear them first unless multiple deer or the deer are moving quickly.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Making fast movements on the ground or in a tree stand is a sure way to get busted by deer. They see you most times before you see them. I have killed many deer that were looking at me before I shot them, just freeze and move nothing but your eyes until the deer looks away or starts to feed and then slowly raise you weapon to shoot. When a deer stares at you they are trying to figure out if you are a threat, if you stay still they will eventually get back to what they were doing before they spotted you.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can't move, you can't shoot, simple as that.

Try to move slow and smooth - pretty much everything in the woods moves, especially if there's breeze.

Keep in mind, if you can see their eyes, they can see you. But slow smooth movements will be less of an "alert",
Old 11-19-2020, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Disagree, you are better off waiting until the deer looks away rather than moving slowly. Slow movement is still movement and the following is not true on a calm day, " pretty much everything in the woods moves, especially if there's breeze." There as many calm days as windy days. Patience is a much better choice.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Making fast movements on the ground or in a tree stand is a sure way to get busted by deer. They see you most times before you see them. I have killed many deer that were looking at me before I shot them, just freeze and move nothing but your eyes until the deer looks away or starts to feed and then slowly raise you weapon to shoot. When a deer stares at you they are trying to figure out if you are a threat, if you stay still they will eventually get back to what they were doing before they spotted you.
Good advice.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of the advice given to you was good. Those of us with a lot of experience with deer know that if you move when a deer is within bow range when you see a deer's eye and its head is up it will see you moving. If the head is down feeding you can get away with a bit more but not much. Its best to wait until the deer looks away or gets its head behind a tree.
If a deer looks up at you - freeze. I try not even to make eye contact. If you move the jig is up and the next thing you're likely to see is a tail.
If the deer is staring at you, bobbing its head up and down, left and right its trying to figure you out. If it picks up its leg and slams its hoof on the ground its doing 2 things. 1, trying to get you to move and 2, alerting any other deer in close proximity that it sees something but not quite sure what. If it snorts at you that is a definite warning that your aren't supposed to be there. This us usually followed by a rapid retreat or a stiff legged walking away stomping its feet with every step. Your choice here but be forewarned this deer is on full alert and will jump your string. Best thing is to wait it out and see if it calms down.
If the deer wags its tail to the side you're just about "out of the woods". That's a sign that it is calming down and you don't pose a threat. The deer will start to go about its business and just might give you a good shot if you follow the above advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.