Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 So I just got a phone call... >

So I just got a phone call...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So I just got a phone call...

Old 11-07-2003, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default So I just got a phone call...

from my dad. He' s out in NW IL on the property we hunt on. Took the day off work of course.

Well, he goes out this morning and decided to use his decoy. He put a little bit of Tinks Tarsal gland scent on his boots and on the decoy (buck) and walked in to his stand. After he set the decoy down he walked the 15 yards to his stand, put his bow on the pull rope, and started climbing. He got 3 steps up and the woods just errupted. The HUGE 5X5 he had seen last week litterally came running through the woods, snorting and grunting and stomping his feet all the way to the decoy, where he stood and stared it down while grunting for 10-15 minutes straight. All the while my dad is still hanging onto the side of his tree! During this time it got light enough for him to verify what he saw through binoculars last week. Typical 5X5 rack, guessing 28" + spread, and probably close to 20" G2' s. He said the thing just looks like an elk walking through the woods. And where did it go when it left? You guessed it - right towards my stand that I' m not in. [:@]

After he got into stand he saw 4 other bucks, including a 150 class 5 x 5 and the same 135 - 140 class 5 x 4 we' ve seen a few times this year already. He said there were deer running everywhere this morning.

I wish I was there!!!! Gotta wait till the morning though.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:03 AM

Default RE: So I just got a phone call...

Are these mulies? They sound incredible. I would love to see something like that someday.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Nope, they' re whitetails. No mulies in Illinois that I know of.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:13 AM

Ya' ll boys know how to grow them in IL. Hope to get to hunt there one day.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:54 AM
nub

, guessing 28" + spread, and probably close to 20" G2' s.
Come on now.[]
Old 11-07-2003, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Believe me, I said the same thing when he told me. However, my best friend was with him last weekend when they saw the buck and he verified that it was without a doubt the biggest deer they' d ever seen in their lives. They said words cannot even describe it, so I' ll have to hopefully see for myself.

We' ve got Cam Trakker photos of a buck a few years ago that would score 180+ easily, so it' s not totally out of the question.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:18 PM

28" spread and 20 inch g2' s is world calss dude

You are talking a 200+ typical - can you say Zaft

Good luck with him
Old 11-07-2003, 12:25 PM

comndr45

I wish the deer were as big down here. That' s OK my father-in-law called from Columbia Missouri complaing about the deer are getting smaller up there because they transplanted a bunch of Mississippi deer up there a few years back. I go up ther every year to gun hunt and trust me there are some big dang deer up there were we hunt. I arrowed a 8 pt earlier in the mississippi season and his body size was the the size of a spike in Missouri........no kiddin!
Old 11-07-2003, 01:40 PM

ok so his g2 or 2 feet long?? ok dokie smokey.. Ill believe it when I see it.. Im not saying its not true.. Im just saying Id be more believeable with confirmation
Old 11-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Believe me, I don' t think that' s any truer than any of you guys do. The only thing I really have to bank on is pix from a trail cam of a buck that had confirmed 15" G2s, and both guys telling me this buck is bigger. I would be willing to bet they' re every bit of 16 - 17" , but 20" is kinda pushing it.

We' ll just have to see after I get him tomorrow morning.

Quick Reply: So I just got a phone call...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.