HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Vermont's Opener (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/424109-vermonts-opener.html)

Champlain Islander 09-30-2020 11:48 AM

Vermont's Opener

Vermont archery season opener tomorrow. I plan to sit in a blind all day and hope to see a fat doe. My first time using both a popup blind and a crossbow. Normally I am up in a tree stand but having problems with my knee lately and at 72 don't feel quite as safe climbing trees anymore.

SportsmanNH 09-30-2020 06:30 PM

Good Luck C I ! Hope you bring home the venison !

CalHunter 10-02-2020 10:57 AM

Hope you had good luck. :happy0001:

Bocajnala 10-02-2020 11:12 AM

How'd it go CI? I've had pretty good luck with ground blinds.

-Jake

Champlain Islander 10-02-2020 02:18 PM

Didn't see a thing and since the weather is so warm I decided to go fishing today. I took a buddy out for deep water perch and we got 190 pounds. Great day. Might go out for some crappie in the morning and sit in the blind tomorrow late afternoon.

CalHunter 10-03-2020 03:49 PM

Pretty cool. Go out deer hunting and come back with a boatload of perch. Sounds like a fish fry. :cool2:

Champlain Islander 10-04-2020 01:32 AM

No they all went to market. Did go out yesterday and got a limit of black crappie and they are now living in my freezer.

Champlain Islander 10-08-2020 11:16 AM

Got a decent doe yesterday with my new Tenpoint Viper S400 crossbow. First year hunting with a crossbow and out of a ground popup blind. Had a t-storm come through and I stayed nice and dry. Shortly after it cleared I got my deer. 30 yd double lung hit and complete pass through. Lungs were all mush after being hit with a rage hypodermic broad head..

Bocajnala 10-08-2020 02:31 PM

They're not always that easy! Glad you got one.

Going after a buck?

-Jake

Champlain Islander 10-09-2020 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4381954)
They're not always that easy! Glad you got one.

Going after a buck?

-Jake

I know it is only easy when everything works out. I have shot many deer with bow but this is my first year not climbing into a tree stand and hunting with a compound. Having the crossbow does take some of the difficulty out of the equation. This year they changed the rules here in Vt and we are now a 1 buck only state. My goal was to harvest a doe for the freezer during bow and possibly adding a second with an additional tag which I bought. I have a ML antlerless tag which would allow me to harvest another doe during the ML season. Rifle season is 16 days and it is buck only. If I don't score I can take a buck during the later ML season. If I took a buck during bow season I wouldn't be able to rifle or ML hunt.