Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Midget Deer????????? >

Midget Deer?????????

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Midget Deer?????????

Old 11-06-2003, 08:14 PM

Default Midget Deer?????????

Hey guys,

I just went spotting tonight (it stunk, I probablly saw at most 20 deer) but I was pulling around a turn where I had just seen deer eyes. There is a fence row with a brush in front of it. Well, I pull up to where the deer was and I thought that she was bedded down, then she started walking away a nd I realized that her legs were VERY VERY VERY short. Her body was big, but I swear, she was about as tall as a fawn from September. She looked very healthy other than the fact that her legs were very short.

Has anyone seen this before? What would cause this?

This deer is in a un-pressured area that is packed with food for all the deer. The area also has good genetic deer, lots of little basket rack, 1-1/2 year old 8 points. There is tons of corn and alfalfa all over the place, so I don' t think that it was nutrition.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Midget Deer?????????

Yes Magnet I have seen that more in the past couple years around here. Usually it is comin in a high density area like a state park where hunting is not allowed . Or is is a trait of piebalds or albinos sometimes. Inter breeding can cause the problem.when they run they look like little pixies. This year I seen a new born with white legs and has that stumpy build. Best to take it out of the Gene pool.