Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
treestand height >

treestand height

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

treestand height

Old 04-17-2020, 01:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default treestand height

was wondering what heights everybody hunts from and do u have to be 15 ft can u be 12ft? if u have a good back drop and obviously know where the deer come from and use the tree to protect. always hunted 15ft but little leary on heights. last year at end of bowseason time was running out moved top section of ladder stand only 5 ft and set up that next day saw 7 deer on an all day sit in massachsetts. i was high on a ridge and the deer were below me . no shot. did have does come into 25 yds, no doe permit. saw 2 nice bucks but they were out 50 yds. just curious on what heights u guys hunt from. thanx
Old 04-17-2020, 02:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

This info might be of interest to you.

One of my hunting spots has a ladder stand missing one of the ladder sections. The owner's son in law is afraid of heights. Still it never got used so he basically gave it to me.

I have a 16 foot ladder stand set near to this 11 foot stand. Depending on the wind or deer patterns I will set up on that short stand. I've taken deer in both but I have to be extra cautious in the short stand.

The lower you hunt the less forgiveness you have. Plan accordingly to your situations and limitations.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Hunt wherever you are comfortable. Is higher better? Probably-but not if it leaves you feeling unsafe. Or not if you don't go out because you don't like to go high.

I shoot most of my deer from the ground now, including my last two archery deer- not because I'm afraid of heights but because I like hunting from my feet. But when I use my climber my rope is marked off at 18' and thats usually about the height I go to.

I also have a couple 12' ladder stands and one 18' ladder stand. Hang on stands I've used from only a few feet high to one that was probably 35 feet high one year. Wish I had a picture of that stand.

Is higher better? Probably. But not if it's taking away from the enjoyment for you.

-Jake
Old 04-17-2020, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

I get dizzy in anything over 12 feet, Loose brain syndrome I believe, can,t do carnival rides either, So that is my limit, have probably shot75 deer with a bow from 12 foot ladder stands, I had one ladder stand set at 6 feet because of the cover and thick situation, Shot an 8 point buck at 15 feet from that stand.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

For many years my 2 man platform tree stands which were built by me between several trees with handrails and a ladder to get up into them were about 11 feet of the ground. I covered the outside with camo cloth. I was always successful taking a deer from them, two if I wanted to. Last year after spending money every ear on maintenance I bought and erected a tower stand. It is only 8 feet from the ground to the floor which puts my gun at about 11 feet high and 13 feet when standing up. It too was very successful on it's maiden voyage. It has been obvious to me you do not need to be in the stratosphere with your stand to be successful. For those who like to be that high, more power to you and I suspect you are successful as well or you would not continue to hunt that high. All things being equal, this will be my home in deer season for the rest of my hunting career unless a tree falls on it.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

there is no need to hunt from above the ground, millions of deer were killed before anyone even thought about making a tree stand

the advantages however of being above the ground can help, it can get your vision above terrain and allow you to see farther or just better)or not)
and it can some times help with keeping your scent above things as well
and can help keep your movements out of direct line of sight for deer, However IMO< deer that live in area's where hunters use tree stands, have evolved to learn to LOOK Up in the tree's for hunters, just as much as they look any where else! LOL

but there is NO set height to how high one has to be for any advantages to help you
what ever height your OK with i, if it allows you see better, or feel better and allows you to sit still longer, it will help you most times!
be it 4 ft off the ground or 30 ft
Heck, I have killed deer from above ground to below ground set up,( like pit blinds , so you can always go down too if that is an option for the set up at hand!

larger key in hunting deer IMO< is seeing them before they see you, and then remaining still while you wait for the shot, deer pick up movements , be them up in a tree or down on the ground
movements are what get most hunters busted , next will be scent!

Old 04-19-2020, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I been successful archery hunting with stands as low as 6' off the ground and also while hunting on the ground. I would say anywhere from 12' to 16' feet is more than enough. 20' IMO is not needed. Remember that the closer a deer gets the higher up you are the smaller the angle to hit both lungs.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

The only time I get really super high up in a stand is if I have located that stand mid ridge along a well used trail. I do that to get above the ridge-line. Other than those instances I usually locate my stands between 15 and 20. And anyone that says deer don't look up hasn't hunted whitetail in the last 3 or 4 decades.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I am normally 12 to 18 feet up. I use climbing sticks that are 16 feet for a lockon and also use a climber to get up as high as needed.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hunters_life
The only time I get really super high up in a stand is if I have located that stand mid ridge along a well used trail. I do that to get above the ridge-line. Other than those instances I usually locate my stands between 15 and 20. And anyone that says deer don't look up hasn't hunted whitetail in the last 3 or 4 decades.

Of course deer look up, I have killed several that were looking directly at me when I shot them. One just has to learn how to behave when a deer spots them and not move. I am amused with the thought that deer have some super powers to out wit hunters. Hunters are not invisible nor are deer super natural. I have killed as many deer while on the ground as when I was in a tree stand, the key is self control when the deer is in range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.