Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bowhunting tracking nock >

Bowhunting tracking nock

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting tracking nock

Old 04-10-2020, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bowhunting tracking nock

Sheltering in place and social distancing and testing the prototype Tracking nock .

video link below .

Old 04-10-2020, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Years ago there was another tracking attachment for arrows but it was lower on the shaft and had a fishhook on it to attach to the animal when the arrow passed through it. Not legal in PA, either one.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, what happens if there is a non-lethal hit? It seems to me that the animal is carrying the nock around and would be subject to infection at the entrance site.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

One of the reasons they are not legal in PA is because the Commissioners were concerned that some hunters would take less than good shots and then use the radio direction finder to make up for lack of ethics and good skills. Not saying this is the case with the OP, I have seen posted here what he can do with a bow but I agree with my agencies decision on this issue.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

My 2 concerns on this are 1. Like Oldtimr said, the legality of it and 2. the weight. I know from experience that without using these to practice with you can't just install them and go hunting. If the weight is too much your arrow will be tail heavy and high higher than a standard nock. That is the reason I use Nockturnal lighted nocks. They are only 2 gr heavier than my standard nocks and there is no noticeable difference even at extended ranges.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Years ago there was another tracking attachment for arrows but it was lower on the shaft and had a fishhook on it to attach to the animal when the arrow passed through it. Not legal in PA, either one.
Yes that is still in business but old school tech and expensive.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
So, what happens if there is a non-lethal hit? It seems to me that the animal is carrying the nock around and would be subject to infection at the entrance site.
The wound from the broadhead is perhaps a far greater concern than a subsequent infection. Over time its expected it would work its way out during healing.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
My 2 concerns on this are 1. Like Oldtimr said, the legality of it and 2. the weight. I know from experience that without using these to practice with you can't just install them and go hunting. If the weight is too much your arrow will be tail heavy and high higher than a standard nock. That is the reason I use Nockturnal lighted nocks. They are only 2 gr heavier than my standard nocks and there is no noticeable difference even at extended ranges.
Yes if it is not legal in your state I would caution against using it. These will come with practice units used to sight in Ive found almost no point of impact changes out to 30 yards and only slight pin adjustments at further distances. Arrow flight was not impacted at all. Increased weigh will boost momentum and increased penetration.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always thought that some one should invent a nock that both lights up and gives off a audible BEEP or something after say 30-mins an hour after being fired!
I always felt this would be a great way to recover game if a poor hit was made and or find a arrow that went thru or into the unknowns due to what ever reason!

and like anything, would only be something used while hunting, where its legal!

since it doesn't contain a tracking device, it might also be legal in more places! thus making more sales!

weight and price would be a large part of any sales too!

Old 04-14-2020, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not a bad idea , however many hunters of my vintage or from their jobs are hard of hearing, especially foe high pitched sounds. I have problems with high pitched sounds, but I can hear birds pecking on trees, squirrels in the leaves and deer walking in the leaves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.