Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Help with arrow and broad head grain >

Help with arrow and broad head grain

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help with arrow and broad head grain

Old 02-24-2020, 07:01 AM
Spike

Default Help with arrow and broad head grain

I am shooting a Browning nitro 80 I know it's 288fps my draw weight is 60lbs and my draw length is 29 inches. I am going to use it for deer and turkey I have rage x treme broad head in 100 grain. Just looking for advice. Thanks in advance
Old 02-25-2020, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Someone may be able to plug your information into a program for the proper answer. I'd guess you are still in the 500 spine arrow range and approaching 400.
I tried Rage heads about 10 years ago and I'm not a fan, especially with a bow that maxes out at 60 and may be shot under that. I'm sure others will have other opinions.
Good luck to you.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

I would say the Rage at your speed and KE will be great on the turkeys but I wouldn't use them on a deer. Just not enough KE. I recommend going with a good cut on contact fixed blade to up your penetration. What is your arrow weight and speed? If you just know the weight we can estimate the speed and KE
Old 02-25-2020, 05:15 PM
Spike

I am shooting 400 grain arrows.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by grizzly 2
Someone may be able to plug your information into a program for the proper answer. I'd guess you are still in the 500 spine arrow range and approaching 400.
I tried Rage heads about 10 years ago and I'm not a fan, especially with a bow that maxes out at 60 and may be shot under that. I'm sure others will have other opinions.
Good luck to you.
The bow is 60/70 I am shooting it at 60 lbs
Old 02-27-2020, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Is that 400 grains or is that the spine? If its the weight is that before broadhead? If that is the total weight then your speed is about 240 ft per second with 49 ft-lbs of KE. If the actual weight is 500 after adding the 100 g broadhead then your speed will be about 211 ft/sec with about 47 ft-lbs of KE.

While the rage may open that if a little low KE for them to be used as the penetration will suffer. I am able to get about 70 KE out of my set up and use the rage Hypo's. I pretty good penetration and will normally pass through as long as I don't take out a shoulder. If I am going after turkey with same set up I will use a different broadhead to limit the penetration as I don't want a pass thru on a turkey.