Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Dreaded Hollow Spot >

The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Old 11-08-2003, 01:33 PM

Default RE: The Dreaded Hollow Spot

Ok, here was the cool one with the overlays.

http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html
Old 11-08-2003, 05:54 PM

Just another whack at the dead horse. I closely examined the skeleton of a buck I shot Monday. Not only does the heart/lung cavity extend all the way up to the spine, it actually is higher than the spine bottom at its highest point. The bottom of the spine extends down below the tops of the lungs. The only way to hit below the spine and miss the lungs is to hit too far forward or too far backward, throat shot or gut shot.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:24 PM

Belive me it does exist! Two years ago I shot a buck a little high behind the should at 30 yds. from a treestand. The arrow passed clean through. The hit was to low for the spine. I know the spine lays alittle low. I think I shot just at the top of his lungs. But, barely underneath his spine. I gave the deer an hour and jumped him from his bed. Without much blood.
The deer was killed 3 weeks later during our rifle season. He was in good condtion
with the entrance and exit hole starting to heal up. The shot was definetly under his spine.
It happed to me again last year. I had a sick feeling when I saw where it hit him. We never found the buck dead or alive. He had a short blood trail that soon quit altogether. It does exist!

Rusty
Old 11-09-2003, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

nny & todd, not sure what to tell you here. I know where the arrow went. I know the deer was still alive when I found him. What was bleeding? Well, a broadhead cutting through muscle tissue and whatnot will certainly cause bleeding. A main artery hit will cause bleed out fast and death to follow soon. This deer was still alive but too weak to travel. You don' t think a deer is going to bleed unless you hit an artery? Ever cut yourself real bad without hitting a main artery? Lot' s of blood isn' t there? Perhaps the back of the lungs? Don' t think so. As for the high lung hit, you get two lungs, deer' s dead. You get one, it goes further. Point is, double lung hits of any location is a very dead deer in no time. Just my opinion from personal experience. Maybe I' m hunting a biologically altered experimental deer zone.