Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe blows

Old 10-06-2019, 03:50 PM
Spike

Default Doe blows

I was in the stand tonight and took a shot at a deer. I misjudged the shot and missed, the deer blew about 3 times while running off. Is my spot ruined, will the deer come back, or will my spot be back to normal in a day or so?
Old 10-06-2019, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Give it a week.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you can give it a day or two, that's fine, if NOt,
I wouldn;t sweat it, deer get spooked all the time and blow(snort) its a common deal, so they live with that happening all the time

what causes more hesitation on returning is if they SEEN you and identified YOU with the fear
if they just bolted and snorted and didn;t really know what happened, they will IMO< most time forget they did it in minutes! not days or weeks

so, if you think they seen you or knew you where there before during or after the shot, its best to give the site some down time
but this is just a general deal
I know many guys that shot at(including me) a buck and missed and had same buck show up next day, heck, one I shot at and missed two days ina row and got it on day 3 LOL

but deer never seen me , just ran when arrow hit a darn limb, 3 times, 3 different limbs
there all cut down now by the way! LOL
Old 10-07-2019, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not to worry. Deer blow a lot more than you think. And almost always at a predator. That deer may avoid the area for a while but it shouldn't effect any others.
I had deer blowing at a bobcat one time while hunting in TX. But when the bobcat passed within 30 yards of me I released an arrow and put an end to his deer hunting days. I have a full mount of him in my man cave.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:21 AM
Spike

I think it has come back already.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Me and a buddy were hunting in close proximity to each other. I had two walk under my stand. The second one stopped and must have caught wind cause she blew and ran off. This was at 7am. At 9am had another blow behind me. It had got wind of my buddy. Turns out it was most likely the same two deer.

So NO a spot is not ruined even for the day if a deer blows at you. Unless that is the only deer in the woods.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Spike

Deer blow all the time, they will be back. I have even seen deer get clever and blow on purpose to scare away other deer so they could feed without competition. Yep they are intelligent enough to create a mock scenario if it benefits them.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Lady mentioned...I've had Deer blow at other Deer because they didnt see or know what was walking in the woods when they walked out into an open field.I stayed still in my ladder stand and watched them run back in the woods from where they came an then filter back in after 15 to 20 minutes of things quieting down.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

They blow when nervous. I have blown back and then the curiosity gets the best of them and they might come closer. As long as they didn't see, or smell, you