Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Grading Arrows for Hunting Quiver? >

Grading Arrows for Hunting Quiver?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Grading Arrows for Hunting Quiver?

Old 08-19-2019, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Grading Arrows for Hunting Quiver?

Good Afternoon
I am starting to mark and pick out the best arrows I have for hunting. I usually shoot them all 5 times and each time they are a bull or accurate I put a mark on the fletching if I know I had good form. The top 6 arrows are for hunting. Well right now I have 4 arrows set aside for hunting and 2 more to pick out. The 4 arrows are different brands and models. I have Easton Axis, FMJ, & 2 Carbon Express Piledriver Extremes. Is it bad to have that kind of arrow mixture? They are all accurate good flying arrows.

Any comments or advice is appreciated.

Thank You
Old 08-19-2019, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless they are identical in weight, spine, fletching, I am surprised you can get different brands and models to group tightly. I have never seen this happen. Close maybe. Tight group never.

I always use the same brand set up with the exact same components. I then weed out those arrows that do not hit where I aim excluding my own fault. Essentially, the opposite of your method.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto to the post above.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

If they are in fact all grouping to the same point of impact I see no reason not have them mixed.

The goal is a tight group where you want it to go. If they do that it shouldn't matter what's stamped on them.

-Jake
Old 08-26-2019, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will not find any proficient archer carrying a quiver with different branded arrows.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

If all those arrows are not spined for the bow you are shooting because they were purchased for different bows it could be dangerous, at best it could cost you a deer. What kind of bow and what poundage is it.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rogerstv
You will not find any proficient archer carrying a quiver with different branded arrows.
I'm a very casual Archer. I own a crossbow a compound and recurve. Have taken multiple deer with everything but the recurve.

So my basic question is why? If they all shoot consistently to the same poa at the ranges that you're shooting.... Isn't that the goal? Does it matter if they are a different color?

-Jake
Old 08-27-2019, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess if they hit where you aim, then sure pack them. But, I believe it is bad advice to someone asking for it. I suspect your color comment is tongue in cheek.

I've found that similarly spined arrows do not fly the same between brands. Close, yes. The same, no.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

It wasn't necessarily sarcasm. Cause I think that's what you're saying. And it was a real question, again.. I'm a very casual Archer. When I need to be stuff I take my bow down to a shop I trust and buy what he recommends. So I don't know the answers.

You said no proficient Archer would ever do that.

My question was why not? If... Through plenty of shooting and testing, you find arrows that consistently shoot to the same point of impact.... Does it matter what the sticker says? Especially in relation to an archer being proficient.

I would guess that it would take more shooting and testing to find different brands that shoot consistently than it would to find a few arrows of the same make. So I'm not so sure that proficiency is at question here.

It sounds like he's shot enough to figure out which ones are shooting good for him.

-Jake
Old 08-27-2019, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, colors were used (maybe still are) to differentiate aluminum arrow shaft quality. Game Getters were green, XX75s rust/orange, and upper end were blue (X10s ??), black, or gold. You could get for instance, a 2117 in each. I didn't do any testing back then. So, maybe a 2117 with all the same components in any of these colors would hit the same POI.

Game Getters were the cheapest in price and quality. One misshot or removing the arrow from the target while pulling any direction than perpendicular to the target butt would result in a bent arrow. XX75's took a bit more abuse. X10's were used by serious archers chasing accuracy. I quit using aluminum decades ago. I am out of touch with them.

The last time I seriously researched arrow brands, I purchased a dozen each of the best carbon shafts from Easton and from Gold Tip. I used their advertised straightness tolerances to choose. Both are designed for target shooting and spined at 400. The Gold Tip with a slightly smaller tolerance proved to be more accurate for my setup. The Easton arrows did not impact at the same point as the Gold Tip. Arrow manufacturers have made major advancements since my unofficial testing.

By proficient, I am referring mainly to target archers. Those shooters striving for accuracy. Target and 3-D. Just like motorsports and any other professional sport, the strides made during the uppermost competition are transferred downward to the consumer. Therefore, my hunting equipment mimics target archery even though I don't compete. For instance, I shoot a blade type rest instead of a drop away.

I believe the best advice to the OP is to purchase one style and one brand based on his/her setup as recommended by an archery professional. Construct all arrows with the same components. Number the arrows, Shoot them a lot. Then cull those arrows that do not group with the majority. Just the opposite as he/she first posted. In addition to other test methods, this is how misaligned inserts, nocks, and broadheads and other deficiencies are identified.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.