Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What is the best rangefinder for bow hunting ?? >

What is the best rangefinder for bow hunting ??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is the best rangefinder for bow hunting ??

Old 06-01-2019, 06:55 AM
Spike

Default What is the best rangefinder for bow hunting ??

1. Halo XL450 Rangefinder
2. Bushnell Bone Collector Best Rangefinders Hunting
3. Laserworks Rangefinder Another Best Rangefinders Hunting
4. Nikon Arrow Id 3000 – Best Rangefinder Hunting for the Money
5. Best Rangefinder Hunting Named Leupold RX 650
6. Vortex Ranger 1000 Laser Best Rangefinders Hunting
7. TecTecTec ProWild Hunting Rangefinder
8. Wosports Rangefinder – Best Rangefinders for Bow Hunting

I have checked a few reviews on this hunting rangefinders but could not come on a decision.

Does anyone help me with the right one ??

Thanks in advance
Old 06-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

for bow hunting all you need a is a range finder that read to a 100 yards or so, there is ZERO need to spend a ton of cash on one that can read out to a 1000+yards,
IMO for bow hunting , look for larger Objective lens and of a lower magnification, as then odds are it will work best in lower light, be FASTER on target giving a wider field of view!
Old 06-06-2019, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mrbb
for bow hunting all you need a is a range finder that read to a 100 yards or so, there is ZERO need to spend a ton of cash on one that can read out to a 1000+yards,
IMO for bow hunting , look for larger Objective lens and of a lower magnification, as then odds are it will work best in lower light, be FASTER on target giving a wider field of view!
For archery hunting the above is right on the money, I bought a Halo, a less expensive range finder because I rarely shoot at deer beyond 60 yards where I hunt, I ranged my elk last year at 150 yards and hit her exactly where I was aiming. If you do long range shooting, obviously you will need a better more expensive range finder. I have stood side by side with a couple of guys with very expensive range finders and we were within a a couple of yards of each other out to 250 yards. I did not compare mine further than that because I doubt I will ever shoot even that far.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am in general agreement with the two gentlemen above. But there are a couple "ifs" here. Do you only bow hunt and that is all you're going to use a range finder for or do you also hunt with a rifle and are CAPABLE of making shots out to 300 or 400 yards?
If its the former than I'd say yes to any of those you mentioned. If the latter go with the best you can afford. Remember those yardage maximums are for a perfect reflector. An animal doesn't reflect the laser signal as well. Your 1000 yard range finder may only range an animal at 600-800 yards. Yes, I know that's plenty.
As for the magnification, I have a Leupold RX I purchased several years ago and use it for both archer and rifle hunting. I believe it has a 800 yard rating. But it has 6X magnification and I wish it was more. I like the magnification for archery hunting because it eliminates my need to carry my binos. Believe me it has save a couple small (less than 2") spike bucks and button bucks form getting poked when I thought they were doe and had an anterless tag in my pocket.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Oh Man, many are becoming bow shooters not Bowhunters, ! Two feet is best for bowhunting ranging !!!! take 35 long steps, that's far enough !! a range finder for a close and personal sport ! WOW ! new modern bows, lets see hold over from 20 to 30 yards---oh yea almost negligeable !!!!
Old 06-13-2019, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

You have the right screen name! Very helpful.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by grouch55
Oh Man, many are becoming bow shooters not Bowhunters, ! Two feet is best for bowhunting ranging !!!! take 35 long steps, that's far enough !! a range finder for a close and personal sport ! WOW ! new modern bows, lets see hold over from 20 to 30 yards---oh yea almost negligeable !!!!
OT has a good point....

I find it difficult to fault anybody for wanting to be more precise or more exact.

I don't use a range finder for archery. And I limit myself personally to 30 yards. At any permanent stand I have set up I have that distance marked with a stick stuck in the ground in multiple directions. Just to make things easier on myself.

That being said. I have mis judged ranges, even at only 30+/- yards. If I used a range finder and ranged before every shot I could eliminate that one mistake.

Is it necessary? No. Is it needed. No. But it's hard to fault someone for wanting to eliminate potential errors.

-Jake
Old 06-14-2019, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

My comment was food for thought from a Archer who has been pulling back a string for more then 53 years ! Yes beginning with a wood stick bow, then a fiberglass straight bow, then a recurve and wood arrows Our sport is being ruined like so many other sports and games, someone always has to make it easier and more expensive, when the real challenge is lost the sport falls by the wayside, It seems the MODERN BOWSHOOTER has to take a wagon with them into the woods to just have all the necessities . Pretty sad ! Look what has been done to another great up close and personal sport, Muzzleloader,s The powers that be have turned this into a modern day rifle, shooting half a mile, what happened to the sport >? Look at the so called hunting tv shows and video,s a father taking his son on his first deer hunting trip to a very expensive private lodge and ranch, wake the kid up before first light, feed him, take him out in a truck to his blind on stilts, overlooking a corn pile, before complete sun up kid shoots a twelve point buck at 30 yards, The poor kid never knew where he was, never saw a deer turd, did not help drag or gut deer, How long to ya think he will be a hunter ??? His computer games are much more fun and challenging ! No wonder the numbers are dwindling, hunting is being taken out of the hunt ! lets try getting back to HUNTING ! You may find it refreshing and more rewarding than shooting an animal at 600 yards
Old 06-14-2019, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Grouch,

You're still welcome to use whatever legal tool that you want to use and make the "sport" into whatever you want it to be for yourself.

I shoot a recurve and that will be the only bow that I take into the woods this year.

They still make flintlocks.

Here's the thing.... You have the freedom to choose. Just like the guy who chooses to use a $2,000 bow.

Freedom is a beautiful thing. Not a reason to complain.

-Jake
Old 06-14-2019, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

I'm sure any of those would work, I would opt for a red display over black, red is so much easier to see in low light situations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.