Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Selection of Rangefinder >

Selection of Rangefinder

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Selection of Rangefinder

Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Spike

Angry Selection of Rangefinder

Hey Friends!
Thinking about whether somebody could enable me to go out with something? Is there any shabby option in contrast to those high range rangefinder. Appears to be nobody deals those mechanical ones any longer. Shouldn't something be said about the shabby nock offs they use for hunting? I would value any assistance, cause I really am terrible at making a decision about the distance from my target. I need the best hunting rangefinder which is also cost effective.

God Favor/Great hunting!
Old 06-25-2019, 06:45 AM
Spike

atm, The loupold are good and not sure of your distance for shooting but they have a wide range of RF that would work for you, I think just my .02
Hhardrock
Old 06-25-2019, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Don't waste your frustration with those junk mechanical ones.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:48 PM
Spike

What's your budget? I picked up a Vortex Ranger 1300 for $250 shipped.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Leica 1600, It works Flawless everytime, I like the fact that this 1 doesn’t have all the Bells n Whistles of other Rangefinders, i had 2 different Leupold’s but Got rid of them due to all of the Cluttered junk in them, I wanted a Rangefinder that gave me Instant, Reliable Yardage Readings, And NOTHING else! I could care less about Temperature, incline, Bow or Rifle etc. etc., The Leupold’s i Had were HORRIBLY Cluttered, It was easy to have them Set on Bow, Or something else that caused problems when Ranging. My Leica is Simple, And Very Reliable, i have Ranged Reflective Targets all the way out to 1,960 Yards, It will read 1200-1300 Yards INSTANTLY on Just about anything, Hillside, Trees, etc.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Search EBay, Craigslist etc, for something like a Bushnell 400, works great for archery.

A low tech option if in the same tree all the time. Pre-measure in a couple of directions, put a marker there, I've used ribbon, or something as simple as leaning a stick against a tree that you can see.

don't worry about angle compensation unless you are on the side of a BIG STEEP hill, the math doesn't support it at tree stand ranges on anything but steep and the further out you get the less it matters.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would also suggest finding one with an illuminated reticle instead of just black. It will really come in handy at first and last light conditions.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a Leupold RX-1 and works fine for me and for any average hunter, bow or rifle. It only has a max range of 600 yards on a good reflector but can read out to about 350 on animals or trees. I plan on starting to do some long range shooting so I will be getting one with about a 1600 yard range. Much more than the average hunter requires. My RX-1 will likely get passed on to my grandson.
Another thing I like is the 6x magnification on the RX-1 which allows me to leave my binos at home when bow hunting. And that 6x has save several small buck's lives when I had a doe tag in my pocket.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by atmsozol
Hey Friends!
Thinking about whether somebody could enable me to go out with something? Is there any shabby option in contrast to those high range rangefinder. Appears to be nobody deals those mechanical ones any longer. Shouldn't something be said about the shabby nock offs they use for hunting? I would value any assistance, cause I really am terrible at making a decision about the distance from my target. I need the best hunting rangefinder which is also cost effective.

God Favor/Great hunting!

You do not need a Leica or other top shelf range finder for archery hunting. I bought a Halo for under $100.00 and it measures the same as some friend's high end range finders out to 150 yards, I stood shoulder to shoulder with friends with expensive units and took reading, mine and theirs were within a yard of each other and I use mine for rifle hunting, about half of my rifle deer hunting is in archery hunting range and the rest out to 65 yards due to where I hunt. My Halo gave me a range of 150 yards on my elk last Nov and I hit it right where I aimed. I have nothing against the top end glass, I just try not to spend more than I need to to get the job done.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You do not need a Leica or other top shelf range finder for archery hunting. I bought a Halo for under $100.00 and it measures the same as some friend's high end range finders out to 150 yards, I stood shoulder to shoulder with friends with expensive units and took reading, mine and theirs were within a yard of each other and I use mine for rifle hunting, about half of my rifle deer hunting is in archery hunting range and the rest out to 65 yards due to where I hunt. My Halo gave me a range of 150 yards on my elk last Nov and I hit it right where I aimed. I have nothing against the top end glass, I just try not to spend more than I need to to get the job done.
Agreed, but if he also does rifle hunting and has the opportunity for longer shots like agriculture land or western hunting then he should get one that can do it all and get it over and done with. I hunt all seasons and I've come to the conclusion that my RS-II is OK, it is not reliable enough for reading past 300-350 yards on non-reflective targets. But for bowhunting or for the guy that isn't capable of making 300+ shots then it is ideal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.