Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Thinking of having my own broadheads made >

Thinking of having my own broadheads made

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking of having my own broadheads made

Old 04-30-2019, 04:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Laugh, think and use whatever you want. And yes I may have to do some tracking but so what. IMO 700+ gr of arrow weight is not necessary, even for those animals. You aim for the lungs and not the shoulder and you will have a dead animal plain an simple. But you don't agree and that's fine with me. Its obvious you like the equipment you use. But then again so do I. You've stated your opinion and I mine. I know you're going to post something after this because your ego will make you. That's OK. Its just that I won't be responding to it and from the looks of the posts on this thread neither will anyone else.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:59 AM
Typical Buck

You are speaking in opinions. I am speaking in facts. We aim for the lungs and sometimes hit the shoulder. I wont worry as I can expect positive results. When that happens to the light arrow crowd, they blame everything except themselves but tout how fast their rig can fling a light weight dart.

Im glad we spent this time together and I think you picked up some good facts and data that will aid you and will make you a more lethal bowhunter. You are welcome.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

interesting discussion gentlemen
you make me feel like IM 40 years behind time
I have not changed the bow I use in decades
BTW link is interesting

http://www.american-hunter.com/broad...dhead_test.htm

I use these
http://www.american-hunter.com/broad...ain_4blade.htm

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk =AllProducts&Ntt=carbon+arrows&x=10&y=6&WTz_l=Head er;Search-All+Products
btw I know from experience that a decent arrow with these broad heads is very effective ON ELK from my 88 lb draw bow
I use heavy carbon 32" arrows with a 31" draw length, and arrows commonly zip completely thru the elks chest,
even if ribs are cut in the process, arrows seldom stop in the body of the deer or elk hit in my experience,
old out of date equipment in the hands of an old out of date geezer still seems to be rather lethal.
so you need to be aware of whats behind your intended game target,

Last edited by hardcastonly; 04-30-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

I love the old Phantoms you mention. I got my first 6 from the screw machine house in WI that was making them for Stan Lurowski (Elk Mountain archery) before he died and Muzzy bought the design and name from his widow. I killed 7 deer with one phantom head. Shoot, sharpen and repeat 7 times with a single broadhead. Its a great 4 blade head at 125 grains and with a heavy brass insert to boost the weight and FOC, a great killer 4 blade.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Spike

Think that Would just about do it!
Old 07-05-2019, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

I am not gonna argue back n forth here, Just speak my mind and move on. I side with bronko22000 above 100%!! He knows what he’s doing. I Shoot very similiar to what he describes (My Current setup is a 400 Grain Arrow at 305 FPS, 100 Grain SlickTrick 4 Blade Head) For Deer, Black Bear, and Elk. I have been Bow hunting for over 30 Years, Mostly Deer, But i have Killed all 3. Most of my Kills have been Complete pass Through’s. I lost 1 animal, Which was COMPLETELY my fault, i made a Bad decision on a Straight on Frontal Shot, I have to live with that, Had i of waited for a Broadside Shot, There is No doubt in my mind that my Arrow would have Zipped Through, Or at least penetrated Through the Vitals Killing the Animal like they have on Everything else i have Shot. Shot Placement is Key, Regardless of Arrow/Bullet Weight (To a common sense degree of course). There is nothing little about a 400 Grain Arrow. Put the projectile of Choice where the Critter lives, And it Dies.

If i planned to Hunt The Largest of Large species on the Dark Continent i would probably shoot a little heavier Arrow, and Draw weight, but not much Speed in Archery is an Awesome, and Deadly thing.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

Bigger isn’t always better, And doesn’t always out penetrate the Slimmer, lighter, faster projectile, I will take my Slim Shaft Easton Axis 400-425 Grain Arrow at 305 FPS over a Big Heavy, Slow 900 Grain Arrow ANY DAY.

Sorta like this, The funniest part of this Video is the guy is actually Surprised at the Results, REALLY??? I wish i could have Betted on this before the Triggers were pulled. What do Butchers use on Beef up to, and well over 1,000 pounds? What is The average Caliber and Bullet weight they use? A .22 Magnum with a little 40 Grain Bullet. Yep, thats right! Maybe the beef would be DEADER if The Butcher had used a .600 Overkill with a 900 Grain Solid?

Old 07-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 54bore
Bigger isn’t always better, And doesn’t always out penetrate the Slimmer, lighter, faster projectile, I will take my Slim Shaft Easton Axis 400-425 Grain Arrow at 305 FPS over a Big Heavy, Slow 900 Grain Arrow ANY DAY.

Sorta like this, The funniest part of this Video
I laughed. Trying to compare bullets to arrows.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DIY_guy
I laughed.
I did as well, over your RIDICULOUSLY Heavy Arching Turds Above

Last edited by Idaholewis; 07-09-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

You failed. There is no shame in you owning that. All I did was make you aware of your mistake. No need for you to get so upset and emotional. *Edited by bocajnala*

Last edited by Bocajnala; 07-15-2019 at 06:42 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.