Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What won' t you hunt? >

What won' t you hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What won' t you hunt?

Old 11-04-2003, 08:29 AM

Default What won' t you hunt?

Is there anything you won' t hunt, and why? There are several animals I won' t hunt, even if given the opportunity. They tend to be the predators, which I respect, much more than I do deer.

My list includes:

Mountain Lions, or any big cat for that matter, on any continent
American Bison (this one is border line, because I do like their meat)
Bears of any kind- I just flat out respect bears and I doubt I would like their meat
Wolves (I don' t even know if they are legal to hunt anywhere, but I wouldn' t regardless)
Giraffes, Rhinos, hippos. I just don' t know what I would do with one of these if I did shoot it.

Most of these come down to a respect that I personally have for them. I think I would be more sad than glad if I shot any of the above.

I AM NOT criticizing anyone who has or does hunt these critters, it' s just my list. Thankfully there are plenty of deer for me to hunt and eventually elk, moose, etc.

Old 11-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What won' t you hunt?

African game - I have no desire to travel there for a safari. Don' t really know why ... maybe it' s because I' m afraid of what I don' t know about. My dad just got back from an African hunt a few months ago and he loved it ... but you can' t drag my butt over there.

I also don' t hunt waterfowl. We used to do it a little bit when I was younger, but right now I really don' t want to get into it. I can stand the cold, but I don' t want to combine being out in the cold with freezing water temperatures. That just doesn' t sound fun to me.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

My list would be just like yours, but I would shoot a bear with my bow in the wild.... if he wasn' t one of those little runts you see people bringing home. I don' t think I' d go on a hunt specifically for bears, but if one walked past my tree in the Adirondacks and was big enough I' d probably whack him. I too, have no desire to go to Africa. I need woods.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

River otter--it' s my wife' s favorite animal and she' d kill ME if I killed one!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:06 AM

Howdy from Huntingdon Brad :-)

I agree pretty much with yours, no interest in an african safari, being an environmental scientist, i would much rather go over there sight seeing and get some great photos of those incredible animals instead of killing them.
Not interested in big cats, maybe it was because i grew up with pets cats or what, but just no interest.
Like Dave H said, not river otter either, and it would be a toss up about taking crocodiles or any crocodilian with my bow.
Not sure if people do this, but I would shoot snakes either just because I keep pyhtons and boas.

Other than that, pretty much anything else I wouldn' t mind trying with a bow, including bears, but like davidmil i would pick and choose what I would bring to the check station.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

I have no desire whatsoever to shoot a bear............
Old 11-04-2003, 09:17 AM
TWC

I think I would pretty much hunt any of the above listed animals, if given the opportunity. Minus the giraff.... etc. But Bear, definately.....Mountain Lion, absolutely......I' m an equal opportunity hunter
Old 11-04-2003, 09:30 AM

Pretty much any legal game. The method is more of an issue for me than the species of animal. To each his own.

Greg
Old 11-04-2003, 09:31 AM

Hey Big Dog, how' s Huntingdon doing? Warm weather I hear. Did you change your Screen name? I' ve been trying to change mine from by23856 (too many numbers and too impersonal) but don' t know how.

Yeah, I forgot about alligators and crocs. I was watching one of those Outdoor shows on ESPN2 the other week which is what got me thinking about this in the first place. That fat guy with the cheesy mustache that is on one of them that rifle hunts all of the time was down in Florida on a Gator ' Hunt' . He and is ' guide' walked down a freaking dirt road that ran along the water' s edge scoping for a large gator that was missing a foot that the guide had been watching for a couple of years. They could have been in their Sunday go to meeting clothes for all the harder of a walk it was. The gators just laid there on islands and little peninsulas not really paying them any mind. I didn' t see one gator flee to the water as they walked by. Eventually they saw a gator they thought was ' ole three leg' and fat guy set up a chair with a rest, or he used the back of the chair for a rest, talking in normal tones the whole time to his ' guide' , took his time aiming and talking throughout, and eventually shot this gator that hadn' t moved an inch the entire time this unfolded. I was sick and disgusted. If that is an alligator hunt, count me out of that one too.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:31 AM

Most of these come down to a respect that I personally have for them. I think I would be more sad than glad if I shot any of the above.
I look at in 180 deg. the other way.

I have the greates respect and love for Whitetail Bucks - thats why they obsess me and thats why I hunt them.

The other animals I wouldn' t hunt because of a Lack of respect or admiration for there defensive skills.

Quick Reply: What won' t you hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.