Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion) >

Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

The reason I wont buy a scent lok suit anytime soon, is very simply because you see all the Pro's on tv hunting with it sure thats awesome, but listen to them sometime, "Ohh we cant hunt that stand because its got a North west wind and that would carry our scent out over the beans which would bust the deer"

OK you've got your scent suit and blah blah blah Take your scent free bath blah blah blah Now spray with this 20 dollar stuff blah blah blah Dude... You already paid 200 bucks for the suit and you cant even hunt where you want to hunt??? why bother??

Sorry. Just I saw a hunter last night say that so it sorta cheesed me off.

But to me thats why I think Scent lok is a Joke.

Ryan.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

I won't buy it cause of the price.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:43 AM

I won't argue whether it works or not, but my question is whybuy it from a store? The carbon has a "life" from the time it starts absorbing scent. If it sits on a rack in store, touched, tried on multiple times, falls on the floor, etc, aren't you buying a used product? You can buy them direct and have them shipped to you in the sealed bag they ship it to the stores in. I worked for a large outdoor store while attending college and if some stuff didn't see that fall, they put it in the back and pulled it out again the next summer. Some of it was over 2 years old. That doesn't seem right to me.

If I'm wrong about this being a bad thing, someone please correct me. I could have bad information on the life of a carbon suit.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

The way I look at it.....The carbon can't hurt you, if you have the money to buy it, then buy it, if you don't then hunt the wind. I don't see what the big deal is, its marketing folks its what the whole world is now built around and will be built around from now till the end of time!!! Makin' them ENDS!!!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:51 AM

And thanks for sharing. Now that we've got that out in the open.....
Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Mottz

I won't buy it cause of the price.
Yep I can't stand all the crap. Everybody that endorses it on tv make it that expensive. You have to pay for those celebs to say it's great.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

The reason I buy cheap stuff is because of this:

I have sat in my stand on windy days before in my regular school clothes and even with some regular deoderant or cologne on and the deer walk right under me.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

From a scientific point of view I think it's already been proven that Scent Lok can't work. At least not after the first hour or two that you wear it new out of the packaging. The carbon gets saturated and that is that. You can't reactivate it at temps less than 850 degrees CELSIUS, so forget about the dryer. You are left with a suit that is slightly heavier than a normal one with no advantage.

http://www.norit-ac.com/english/activatedcarbon.asp?submenuCat=reactivation

I bought into the hype a few years ago, and was getting winded on the second day I wore it. Never again. Keep your hunting clothes clean, shower before heading out, and try not to sweat. Not much else you can do. I still wear my Scent Lok suit, but it's for the GoreTex, not the carbon.

dan
Old 09-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

I have sat in my stand on windy days before in my regular school clothes and even with some regular deoderant or cologne on and the deer walk right under me.
The key phrase being on windy days. I don't wear the stuff myself but Scent-lok and Scent Blocker do make some great clothing.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

plain and simple...sprays, suits etc etc will not cover 100% of your human scent....no substitution for hunting the wind...

but, any hunter thats hunted long enough will tell you they dont ALWAYS come from where you except them to...they dont always stay down wind...your careful with your trail walking in but they still wander close or over it....the wind swirls or shifts while your on stand...thermals come into play etc etc etc.....THIS is where scent control practices come into play. the showers, the sprays, the suits, etc etc...ive found since i started my scent control practices last season that it really does help....is it the scent lok? i dont know...i see it as part of the puzzle...

i see the stuff saleing for outrageous prices....but what ive found is that stuff is TOP NOTCH...grade A hunting gear...quiet, usually waterproof or somewhat water resistant, more breathable than the cheaper stuff etc etc....its just quality gear....i always said id never pay for it....but changed my tune...even if it wasnt scent lok i still think it would be worth paying the extra money beyond typical clothing...cheaper...but its noisy, uncomfortable, fit isnt right, not breathable if its waterproof so your either sweating or your soaked...just worth the extra money if you have it and you spend alot of days in the field every season.....if you hunt a few times a year you might not see it being worth it....but if you spend the time out there, your going to see the difference between good quality gear and clothing and cheap stuff, even if its not CHEAP..that just isnt in the same playing field

just my 2cents...

Quick Reply: Why Scent-lok is a joke. (opinion)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.