Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
To Hunt Mornings or Not Early Bow >

To Hunt Mornings or Not Early Bow

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To Hunt Mornings or Not Early Bow

Old 09-12-2018, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default To Hunt Mornings or Not Early Bow

Hi
I live in Maine and we have a special urban bow hunting season that starts 2nd week of September. It is usually warm until end of month. I am debating if its worth starting to morning hunt or only do afternoon hunts. What do you guys think? Any opinions are welcomed.

Thank You
Croc
Old 09-13-2018, 12:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

As long as you can get in and out without spooking them, I say go for it, especially in the early season when they are still in their summer pattern.Time spent in a tree is never wasted.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

have to hunt smarter that's all, but they are out there 24/7/365, so if you have the time off, and know where to go, and as said above can get in and out right, and pay a little extra to scent control,. as much easier to work up a sweat walking in , or for me any how!
I would sure be hunting mornings, just got to get ahead of them before they make it to where they bed! or near where they bed IMO!
Old 09-13-2018, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
have to hunt smarter that's all, but they are out there 24/7/365, so if you have the time off, and know where to go, and as said above can get in and out right, and pay a little extra to scent control,. as much easier to work up a sweat walking in , or for me any how!
I would sure be hunting mornings, just got to get ahead of them before they make it to where they bed! or near where they bed IMO!
I do the same, I set up early mornings way before first light and try to find a spot within a hundred or two hundred yards of a bedding area. Coming back from feeding towards a bedding area kind of funnels them somewhat, picking a good spot that funnels them even farther is smart. They will jump fences, but as often as not, follow the path of least resistance, along the fence.

Next best is to set up near feeding areas. They tend to move into feeding areas kind of spooky and on guard. They tend to return to bedding areas a lot less spooky. Just a generality and experience.

I've had a lot of success setting up near a lone tall bush or short tree near (a hundred yards or so) a bedding area. The Bucks often stop to lick leaves as high as they can reach while standing on all fours on their way *to and from* a bedding area, even not during the rut. I've watched them lick way out of range and set up the next day closer to the same bush or low tree,
Old 09-14-2018, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been getting all kinds of morning activity on my cameras. Probably more than evening but this question cannot be answered accurately without cameras or observation sitting. We simply have no idea if your stands are worth hunting in the morning right now.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:05 AM
Fork Horn

i would try to do mostly evenings if it were me because most of deer are already bedded in the early season unless its cool out!! but like somebody stated if you know where there bedded try catching them coming back. but u dont want to ruin all your spots when its go time in november .
Old 09-16-2018, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a lot of myths out there. Deer move just fine in the morning all year long. The difference is food source.

People get pictures all summer long in the daylight the season starts and the deer disappear and people say "its to hot" but what is really happening is acorns are falling and patterns are changing.

Ive shot more big bucks on Oct 1st than any other day of the year.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:08 PM
Spike

I don’t see as much morning traffic as evening traffic, at any time of the year. So...I avoid morning units until things begin to heat up toward late October. Once bucks are on their feet searching it’s worth it for me, but in the early part of the season I’m concerned about educating deer - it’s a risk and reward equation for me. Possible reward has to out weigh the risk...
Old 09-26-2018, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing I wonder about is how does coming in before daylight in the morning educate deer more than leaving after dark in the evening?