HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Another dumb video review ( Elk) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/4187-another-dumb-video-review-elk.html)

scottsman 02-02-2002 09:51 PM

Another dumb video review ( Elk)

O.K. guys here's the deal, just got done watching The Truth Elk videos 3&4, by the Primos boys. Great video's loved the footage really got the bulls in close. Big bulls too.
Now what I have to know (and I think I know the anwser already) how far from reality our these tapes? I mean I'm going bow hunting for Elk next fall, first time.Never hunted elk before in my life, but even I'm having trouble swallowing 10 yard shots and closer on Elk.
Come on all you Elk hunters,tell me if you've seen these tapes, and what you think.
Got to admit they we're nice to watch.
But maybe I'm just a hard sell. Any opinions?

Unit5A 02-02-2002 10:04 PM

RE: Another dumb video review ( Elk)

Never seen the videos, but I can tell you my closest shot at an Elk was under ten yards! You could hear it ripping the grass from the ground as it fed right in front of me.
It wasn't the first time either, but it was the first time I had a tag for the right sex.
Enjoy your trip, you're going to love it.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

fishon01 02-02-2002 10:26 PM

I've watched the truth 4, and yes it's the truth. They probable did alot of editing though. This was my first year bowhunting and my first bow kill was a 5 pt bull from 15 yards. By myself and a cow call did the trick. So if you are going this year i suggest that you get a couple more tapes and definetly learn how to call. Unless you are with someone who knows how . Wayne Carlton's Aggresive elk calling worked for me. It's a rush. And you won't believe how close you can actually get. good luck....fishon01

nidahoscott 02-02-2002 10:33 PM

i havent seen the videos but i do know that 10 yard shots are not unusuall they are the norm. and if your going huntin during the rut you better be able to talk.

MNDwayne 02-03-2002 09:06 AM

Videos are heavily edited and it can take several days/trips to put together some of the awesome shots they depict. Elk hunting can be very hard with few elk spotted - it can also be very easy with elk at every turn. I shot a 5x5 a couple of years ago at about 10 feet!

The advice about learning to call is right on. My additional comment would be to only go with others who also know how to call. My buddy once went on a hunt with three others and he was the only one who had practiced calling enough to have confidence in his calling...guess who was always the caller and who ended up being the designated shooters!