HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Thoughts on switching from a traditional wrist release (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/418699-thoughts-switching-traditional-wrist-release.html)

RabidSniper308 08-02-2018 06:29 AM

Thoughts on switching from a traditional wrist release

I have shot a standard wrist, trigger release my entire life but have been drawn to checking out some of the newer, strapless releases like back tension and thumb release. Honestly I don't know how much benefit it will have as my wrist release doesn't hinder me in any way and Im dead accurate with it as is BUT I am interested to know some of your opinions who have tried the other releases or even made the switch. Thanks!

grinder67 08-02-2018 08:15 AM

Don't fix whats not broken. Back tension releases are a different animal. I use one for target shooting but hunt with a thumb release. I used a wrist strap release for 30+ years and still would be if I had not developed a issue with punching the trigger. Back tension release relieved that problem quick though.

hunters_life 08-05-2018 05:36 PM

Also, back tension releases don't conform to a lot of positions you have to shoot from in a tree stand. And in a hunting situation, you definitely don't want to use any type of "surprise" release. For paper or 3D those are great. They make you learn how to hold on target firmly but in a hunting situation, positions vary as well as animal placement so you may have to hold at draw for an extended time. To make it simple, tension releases just suck for hunting.

GPMD 08-09-2018 05:00 PM

I shot with a wrist release for 20
years and just recently switched to a thumb release. Oh man im so mad it took me so long to switch! Love it so much. Im
shooting so much better. Groups are same size out to 20 but 25-50 is an unreal difference. Before I couldn’t get good enough groups past 25yd, now I’m hitting tennis balls at 50..... also this is with a new bow, nothing fancy, a PSE Brute, but im sure that helps as well. Once I got used to the thumb release though I fell in love with it

RabidSniper308 08-14-2018 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by GPMD (Post 4339664)
I shot with a wrist release for 20
years and just recently switched to a thumb release. Oh man im so mad it took me so long to switch! Love it so much. Im
shooting so much better. Groups are same size out to 20 but 25-50 is an unreal difference. Before I couldn’t get good enough groups past 25yd, now I’m hitting tennis balls at 50..... also this is with a new bow, nothing fancy, a PSE Brute, but im sure that helps as well. Once I got used to the thumb release though I fell in love with it

Thats kinda what my consensus was from talking to others. I think its time to make the switch lol Thanks