Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bow hunt for Elk . . . which week? >

Bow hunt for Elk . . . which week?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow hunt for Elk . . . which week?

Old 03-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Banned

Default Bow hunt for Elk . . . which week?

So..... Elk bow hunt planning and was wondering if yous guys would rather go when the moon was dark (Sep 9th), or right about the peak of the rut (Full moon: Sep 24th)?
They never seem to co-inside!

Last edited by dig4gold; 03-09-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:34 PM
Spike

If you are asking about a full moon period in September? This is my favorite time. I have killed more elk in the middle of the day during a full moon than any other time in September. Just don't go back to camp in the middle of the day. Those bulls have been chasing cows all night and when the cows bed down in the heat of the day, the bulls finally have a little time to put other bulls in their place. ie (you bugling your face off)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Spike

I always have better success later in the season, as the rut gets into full swing. Personally, that would be when I would hunt. As Greenhorn Mentor said, you'll also find more elk moving in the middle of the day at that point.