Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Honest Thoughts on the Diamond Edge SB-1 By Bowtech >

Honest Thoughts on the Diamond Edge SB-1 By Bowtech

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Honest Thoughts on the Diamond Edge SB-1 By Bowtech

Old 05-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Spike

Default Honest Thoughts on the Diamond Edge SB-1 By Bowtech

I am looking for your Honest thoughts (Don't Tip Toe Around The Truth) on the Diamond Edge SB-1 by Bowtech.

Here is what's going on! A few years back I bought a Budget Hunting Rifle while finishing College. I researched and got a Savage Axis II with an AccuTrigger on Black Friday for under $300 dollars. It has brought down multiple elk over the years with one shot each time with the Federal Blue box .270 Powershok. At .66 MOA at 100 yards, the gun is hard to beat at that price.

Now I am wanting to get into Archery Hunting and needing a bow. I drew a coveted Elk tag this year in AZ during the Rut and want a good budget bow. I know there are many thoughts as to what Bow is the best.......I'm not looking at that. I found a good deal on a Diamond Edge for under $400 bucks. I want to see from experience if any of you believe this is a reliable enough bow to go get my elk.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:25 AM
Spike

It's a pretty descent bow for the money. Seems to be very popular. Some of the diamond bowstrings could be better quality but that's an easy upgrade if needed.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was between getting the Diamond Edge and the Bear Cruzer when I was shopping for my "budget bow." I went with the Bear Cruzer, because I read the Diamond has durability issues (with the cams, I think?). I've been thrilled with my Cruzer; just be sure to check the module screws to keep them tight---otherwise they'll back out and create wear.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Boondock Patrol
I am looking for your Honest thoughts (Don't Tip Toe Around The Truth) on the Diamond Edge SB-1 by Bowtech.

Here is what's going on! A few years back I bought a Budget Hunting Rifle while finishing College. I researched and got a Savage Axis II with an AccuTrigger on Black Friday for under $300 dollars. It has brought down multiple elk over the years with one shot each time with the Federal Blue box .270 Powershok. At .66 MOA at 100 yards, the gun is hard to beat at that price.

Now I am wanting to get into Archery Hunting and needing a bow. I drew a coveted Elk tag this year in AZ during the Rut and want a good budget bow. I know there are many thoughts as to what Bow is the best.......I'm not looking at that. I found a good deal on a Diamond Edge for under $400 bucks. I want to see from experience if any of you believe this is a reliable enough bow to go get my elk.
If you managed to draw a hard to get tag for elk, skimping on the bow you are going to use may not be the best plan. I know nothing about the bow you are considering, but I do know, wile I am not wealthy, the last thing I would skimp on would be the bow and the arrows and broad heads I was going to use. The elk trip is probably not the last bow hunt you will undertake.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:56 PM
Spike

I have used a few Bow Tech products over the years and they are really good for the money. I currently use an Elite Impulse 34 and love it.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
If you managed to draw a hard to get tag for elk, skimping on the bow you are going to use may not be the best plan. I know nothing about the bow you are considering, but I do know, wile I am not wealthy, the last thing I would skimp on would be the bow and the arrows and broad heads I was going to use. The elk trip is probably not the last bow hunt you will undertake.
I'm genuinely curious in what way this is different from doing as the OP has already done---buying a Savage Axis instead of a higher-budget rifle for the rifle season? I've heard people say that when elk hunting it's okay to skimp on the bow, but not the boots or pack. Do you think this is wrong because of increased accuracy at longer distances (I've heard it suggested to guys that they should be prepared to shoot all the way out to 60 yards, at 70lb draw)? Any bow requires a vigilant owner who makes sure it's in tune---especially on two-cam bows. I'd like to know if there's other reliability issues.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:42 AM
Spike

Ended up getting it set up and realized I only had three problems, IMO.

1. Adjustments are great - but fairly useless for me: the adjustments are the biggest selling point for this bow. But, as a big guy, I don't use the adjustability. Because of my needs, it wasn't as useful.
2. Louder side: It's a bit louder than some of the bows I've shot and for some reason the aesthetics bothered me. Just me, will probably strike you differently.
3. Too short: Biggest drawback for me is the 30" draw. As I mentioned, I'm a bigger guy and so needed a 31" draw.

Ended up getting another bow but most of the reasons were because of my particularities (either size or taste). As it says, good bow - just not for me.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:04 PM
Spike

Default Strings

Originally Posted by 60X Custom Strings
It's a pretty descent bow for the money. Seems to be very popular. Some of the diamond bowstrings could be better quality but that's an easy upgrade if needed.
Thanks for the tip on the strings! I get strings for life on this bow so if string issues come into question, the shop I purchased it from will fix it for free.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Spike

Default Module Screws

Originally Posted by younggun308
I was between getting the Diamond Edge and the Bear Cruzer when I was shopping for my "budget bow." I went with the Bear Cruzer, because I read the Diamond has durability issues (with the cams, I think?). I've been thrilled with my Cruzer; just be sure to check the module screws to keep them tight---otherwise they'll back out and create wear.
I will check the Module screws. Thanks for the heads-up! I was looking at the Bear line of bows. They were capturing my attention as well. Have you had much luck with your bow recently?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:09 PM
Spike

Default Durability Issues

Originally Posted by younggun308
I'm genuinely curious in what way this is different from doing as the OP has already done---buying a Savage Axis instead of a higher-budget rifle for the rifle season? I've heard people say that when elk hunting it's okay to skimp on the bow, but not the boots or pack. Do you think this is wrong because of increased accuracy at longer distances (I've heard it suggested to guys that they should be prepared to shoot all the way out to 60 yards, at 70lb draw)? Any bow requires a vigilant owner who makes sure it's in tune---especially on two-cam bows. I'd like to know if there's other reliability issues.
I am interested if I can get it done as well with this Bow! I will let you all know if there are any blatant reliability issues that pop up in the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.