Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Father, I have done wrong... >

Father, I have done wrong...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Father, I have done wrong...

Old 10-31-2003, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Father, I have done wrong...

avid I am not saying a crossbow can not kill a deer at 50 yards, what I am talking about is that beyond 20 yards in comparison to a modern compund they are not as accurate and the drop between 20 & 30 yards with a crossbow is a lot more than with a compound. You are buying into the crossbow hype, like I said talk to CD, he used to shoot a compound until health issues forced him to swithch to a crossbow. He stated flat out that he would prefer to shoot a compound over a crossbow anytime. CD has hunted for years and will not take a shot over 20 yards with his crossbow.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:16 AM
jec

I have both a compound and a crossbow. The crossbow is a Horton Yukon. It hits dead on at 15 yards every time with a rest shooting the exact same way. But at about 20 yards, with a rest it seems like it kind of starts slinging the arrows. One shot will be dead on, the next will be a kill shot but maybe not exactly where you would want. I killed one with it at about 30 yards once but it was quartering away. I' d say anything between 20-30 yards with my crossbow and you had better get a quartering shot or you may completely miss and get no vitals.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:35 AM

avid_bowhunter2005 - The range of a crossbow is not more than that of a compound if you practice. Changing weapons will not increase your effective range and with the bulky, loud crossbow you might find yourself at a greater disadvantage when its all said and done.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:09 PM

I wonder why they make scopes for xbows that range upto 50 yds?
First off they make them because people buy them. They surve no practical purpose at all.

I thought they could at least shoot 35 yards and still take down a deer?
They can but your 55# compound can do it better and more accuratly.

A crossbow is not a merical item that will solve your problems. You need to be patiant, move your stand, try a diffrent area. Most of all you need to practice more. A lot more if you think you need to have a range of 35+ yards
Old 10-31-2003, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

First of all, please change your username from " avid" bowhunter to " fair weather" bowhunter. You are about as avid a bowhunter as a whore is a choir singer. How long have you bowhunted? Do you expect the deer to just fall over dead for you? That is why they call it hunting. Perhaps you should buy your meat at Piggly Wiggly. [:' (]
Old 10-31-2003, 02:09 PM

Wolfen, what the hell?? I just had to reply to you and say I am
ROTFLMAO!!! Give em hell dude!!!!
Old 10-31-2003, 02:35 PM

To jump on the back of Wolfen....

Avid...what do you think hunting is?? Something that is easy to do and just bam a person is sucessful? If it were easy...it wouldn' t be fun. Looks like the deer are out smarting you. Even doe. he, he
Old 10-31-2003, 03:43 PM

LMAO!!!! give the guy a brake, when all else fails, u gotta blame something or someone
Old 10-31-2003, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

hey taz. i shoot a HORTON LEGEND SL crossbow and i use the same cross hair at 30 yrds as i do on the 50 yrd shot. so much for dropping like a rock. i shoot heavy bolts also use carbon bolts from carbon express and 125 4 blade muzzy braod heads. flies great at ranges up to 50yrds. i wouldnt take a shot that far at an animal but it is good to know that it will hold straight at that distance.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Teamster , I would like to see that. I shoot a horton like yours.I use the Horton bolts with a 125 thunderhead. Shoots a great pattern.But at 40 yards I would have to aim a foot above the back to hit the vitals compared to 20 yards dead on. I' ve shot 14 deer with mine. Plus at 50 yards the noise the x-bow makes gives the deer a chance to leave the scene before the bolt even arrives. Maybe I' m missing something here.But I would burn mine in a heart beat if I could use a compound. And the reason they supply scopes for the x-bow is to pump up the hype and sales.they want you to think it is that much superior. Baloney

Quick Reply: Father, I have done wrong...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.