Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Fun with broadheads >

Fun with broadheads

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fun with broadheads

Old 01-11-2018, 05:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default Fun with broadheads

Old 01-16-2018, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

very dangerous I might add....
Old 01-16-2018, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think so and hand protection was worn.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

that is funny as hail .. you had to be bored to tears .. i'm still laughing my azz off
Old 01-16-2018, 10:18 PM
Spike

That was one tremendous cowhide and I thought it was a little dangerous how he positioned himself in order to get the heads thru.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, certainly dangerous. Running a broadhead towards your forearms and chest is stupid at the least. If you cannot see that, then you lose all credibility with me.

A long while ago, I saw a devise with rubber bands stretched left, right, up, down, and diagonally in two dimensions across an opening. The broadhead was pushed through the opening. No real force needed. The devise was supposed to simulate the way dull blades "move" the bands out of the way while sharp blades sever the bands. The bands simulated veins and arteries.

I always liked the Muzzy shots into a trash can. Certainly far from scientific too.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought the test resulted in good information. Ive been looking at those woodsman broadheads.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

I think those woodsmen head will cut extremely well, but how will they hold up to a rib or the Scapular bone if hit? I have seen a lot of old time arrow that curled on bone contact with long slicing ratios such as that one. Heads like the Trocar have the crushing point to handle bone, this head might require a crossbow force to penetrate bone better. (assumption by me). I have read that some guys are chisle pointing them by grinding the tip to make them stronger and then the back still cuts like a razor.

http://www.grizzlystik.com/PR/Ashby_2005_Update_3.pdf
There are 13 broadside, rib impact shots with the modified-tip Woodsman, nine of which penetrated the rib (69.2%). Average penetration was 11.2 inches. The Woodsman’s factory tip is a decidedly weak point, curling on each of the first seven test
[

Just this November I shot a buck with a crossbow and Carbon Express Pile driver bolt with a G5 Montec. With all the force/weight of this heavy arrow and 175# crossbow at 330FPS the head nicked a right and deflected out the other side of his chest at 15°. I spent 15 minutes looking for the bolt until I figured out the deflection made it sail over the hill there.

I make my own broadheads from old circular saw blades when I shoot my primitive stuff and a I use a 1.5 to 1 cutting angle. 1 to 1 would be 45 degrees. Steep angles and I got bending or breakage on testing. The time I spent testing broadheads, i don't trust steep angle broadheads.

Last edited by archeryrob; 01-22-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

Well just last week I put one of the woodsman heads that did so well in the video above through a Russian boars at 30 yards. This was the result.

Straight through the off side shoulder.

The head is hunt ready. No tip curl.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats pretty impressive....full pass through?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.