Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help! My decoy is a scarecrow >

Help! My decoy is a scarecrow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help! My decoy is a scarecrow

Old 10-31-2003, 07:11 PM

Default RE: Help! My decoy is a scarecrow

I have a decoy that I use to stop deer as they cross and old road about 40' wide.gives me a few seconds to look them over and take a shot if needed.

the deer was eating my sweetpotaters in my garden.as bow season came near we got the decoy(target) out and put it up.the deer never came into the garden again.I guess they were scared of the decoy.
I would see them at the neighbors when I would leave for work at 11:00pm.they would not come into my yard.??????????
Old 10-31-2003, 09:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-01-2003, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

I' ve had good and bad experiences with decoys. Sometimes they spook and run off, other times they wander right up to it and sniff it. Just depends on the deer I guess.

Generally speaking, does are more spooked by a buck decoy this time of year than another buck would be. Especially if the real buck is bigger than the decoy. I had a big 8 pt walk in all stiff-legged to my decoy last year and stop 20 yards away from it and just stare. I had a good broadside shot but I misjudged the yardage and shot about 2" under his chest. Doh!

Also, I believe most deer approach the decoy from the rear. That' s what I' ve read in most articles regarding how to use one, and what I' ve seen in real life. And like someone said, spray it down with scent killer. Carrying those bulky things around loads them up with human scent.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:00 AM

Think you hit the nail on the head JZarr,scent is probably the reason that most decoys don' t work.
Gonna try one today,with a little doe in rut on it,or is it to early for rut scent in NJ?
Might be better to try scent eliminator.

Joe
Old 11-01-2003, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

This is pretty strange but my dad just called me on my Nextel and said he had a 150 class 10 pointer 20 yards from his decoy this morning, but he couldn' t get a shot at it. He said the buck was staring his decoy down head-on for a good 15 minutes before just walking away.

THEN on his way out of the woods he kicked up another big buck, which ran over the top of a ravine and right toward MY TREESTAND! Of course the ONE Saturday I get stuck at work is when this happens.

Ah well, I' m out of here soon so hopefully I' ll get one tonight.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-01-2003, 03:57 PM

Well I tried my decoy today for the first time.Hunted on the ground(which I never do)and did' nt see the deer come in.
It spooked,guess it figured out the decoy.Next time I will be in my tree stand.

Joe
Old 11-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

A hunting buddy of mine tried a doe decoy and saw the largest buck he' s seen approaching his stand on a slam-dunk trail---that is until it saw the decoy and gave it a wide berth. He said the buck must' ve thought she was too ugly!

I' ve watched deer in my backyard react strangely when I first got my 3D deer target. They stomped, head bobbed and so on and then spooked when it wouldn' t move.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:13 PM

Last year about this time I picked up a Delta Redi Doe. I was set up with the Decoy 20 yards away, and saw a buck walking away from me @ 80-100yrds away. I grunted once to get the deers atention, and it saw the decoy, and turned around and came stright in. The Doe brought the spike in to 25 yards of my tree for my 1st bow kill. It was worth the $120 just to get the 1st one out of the way.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:25 PM

Hey,
I would suggest a bedded or feeding doe decoy..They work well during the rut, and tend to scare the deer less. Good luck, Frank.

Quick Reply: Help! My decoy is a scarecrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.