Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did I miss?

Old 11-11-2017, 07:29 AM
Spike

Default Did I miss?

Had a good 8 point come in this morning. Shot and it mule kicked and ran for about 20 yards, then stopped and looked around then continued to walk away the same direction it was heading. Couldn't find arrow pretty sure it deflected if the frozen ground and flew somewhere. Will look for the lighted knock at dark. No blood or hair. Seemed alert when it was there. Chasing does
Old 11-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

A "mule kick" is usually a sign of a hit. What kind of broadhead were you using? I ask this because I've killed several buck that reacted the same way yours did while using a Magnus Stinger 2 blade. Ran a few yards, stopped and started walking again. Went a bit farther and fell down. Could be your arrow did deflect and you hit farther back then you wanted. You should have marked where you last saw him and went there to look for and blood or other sign.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:18 AM
Spike

I think you skinned his belly. Honestly I hear these horror stories all the time. It's bad form when you watch how he is hit. Good form is trying to hold the sight on after the shot so you don't drop. I mean no disrespect I only learned after bad hits or misses like this. Just concentrate more on the sight and good form and you'll be fine. Practice more with this form as well. We get away with bad form with rifles because of the 5-6 faster speed. I now do the same while rifle hunting and now you can actually see the hole open up on the deer it's pretty cool.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Spike

I'd go look again to make sure u missed if yu did
Old 12-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gerald Garrou
I think you skinned his belly. Honestly I hear these horror stories all the time. It's bad form when you watch how he is hit. Good form is trying to hold the sight on after the shot so you don't drop. I mean no disrespect I only learned after bad hits or misses like this. Just concentrate more on the sight and good form and you'll be fine. Practice more with this form as well. We get away with bad form with rifles because of the 5-6 faster speed. I now do the same while rifle hunting and now you can actually see the hole open up on the deer it's pretty cool.
I've read your post and his 16 times. what did he say to make you think he has bad form??
Old 12-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Spike

I’d like to think I’ve seen everything over the years as I’ve been bow hunting religiously since the mid-80’s. And with that said I was kicking myself for “blowing” a chip shot on a doe this year. 15 yards, broadside, totally relaxed with no idea I was there...the deer jumped and trotted off into the woods out of sight...where it died. For whatever reason I was certain I whistled it over its back. I was kicking myself for an hour and at dark got down to find the arrow covered in blood. I guess what I’m saying is what you think happened and what did happen can be two different things. Look hard and carefully and assume nothing.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by YTCLT
I’d like to think I’ve seen everything over the years as I’ve been bow hunting religiously since the mid-80’s. And with that said I was kicking myself for “blowing” a chip shot on a doe this year. 15 yards, broadside, totally relaxed with no idea I was there...the deer jumped and trotted off into the woods out of sight...where it died. For whatever reason I was certain I whistled it over its back. I was kicking myself for an hour and at dark got down to find the arrow covered in blood. I guess what I’m saying is what you think happened and what did happen can be two different things. Look hard and carefully and assume nothing.
oh yes - absolutely - the rule of thumb I use since a horror story I won't go into . is, if you think you missed -FIND THAT ARROW.. if you have to get a leaf rake or a metal detector ,, FIND IT
Old 12-13-2017, 08:44 PM
Spike

There is a good chance you nicked him in the belly. I have had this happen a couple of times. if your able to find the arrow you will have some "white hair" on the broad head. If you do, give the buck a day or two and hunt him again.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:56 AM
Spike

The only reason I said bad form is because it's so common to concentrate where the hit was, where they run etc.. that your form suffers. I kmow from experience since I changed it made a world of difference for me. Today's bows are getting faster every day so that will help. The first bear whitetail bow I used was around 210 fps with my new obsession being 367 fps. Like I said I mean no disrespect just trying to pass some info. Someone passed to me of which I am thankful.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

I agree 100%-- never drop your arm or move head . let the bow drop and my wrist sling will catch it .. (in practice). impossible for me after shooting at a deer , but good practice .. referred to as follow through