Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
non (but not anti) hunter needs education please >

non (but not anti) hunter needs education please

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

non (but not anti) hunter needs education please

Old 10-11-2017, 02:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hope it works out for you.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

A wall or fence has been called the best way to keep a friendly neighborhood for generations
Old 10-11-2017, 08:39 AM
Spike

I'd love to fence -- it's always great to have perimeter fencing as a second containment method for livestock. Unfortunately it's a financial and logistical non-starter: 30+ acres with mature trees on a 1,000 foot property line (and that's our short one!) that woods have been growing over since long before we acquired the farm.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

AS the property owner you have every right to ask him to remove the camera and also not to shoot any game on your property or to trespass.
But in seeing that you seem like a "gentleman" property owner I don't think you would object to someone trailing a wounded animal on your property. That being said, the ethical thing for the hunter to do is to come to you and ask for permission (written permission preferred) to trail any animal he hits BEFORE hunting season starts.
Might I suggest putting a note in a plastic ziplock bag behind his camera or on the strap holding it with your address and to come see you to discuss the situation. Give him your address.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by the neighbor
I'd love to fence -- it's always great to have perimeter fencing as a second containment method for livestock. Unfortunately it's a financial and logistical non-starter: 30+ acres with mature trees on a 1,000 foot property line (and that's our short one!) that woods have been growing over since long before we acquired the farm.
the one farm I managed had a 60 plus acre field fenced in, a 8 ft fence too! and still had lots of issue's with arrows stuck in the field, and even cows getting shot in hunting season!
and many many times caught folks IN the field, they climb over , go under
and IF you leave any sections down(no fence) you sort of give them better access to deer coming and going from your side

bottom line is, you either get lucky asking this hunter to respect your side of things, or YOU have issue's

this is why its best to TRY to go easy in first contact, and also, maybe even before talking to said hunter, find out the legal rules and laws on trespassing in YOUR state
so you know what direction you HAVE to go if things go wrong after first contact!

I also would NOT recommend allowing anyone to track game onto your side without them FIST telling you there doings
not doing so, opens the door too wide for them to abuse this(been there done it with MANY hunters in my area and a few different states I also hunt)
Old 10-11-2017, 03:02 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Let me give yo some food for thought. I am a 25 yr Certified Hunter Ed instructor.

1. Hunting today is a Privilege and NOT A RIGHT. That trail camera placed on your property is clearly a Trespassing issue. The person or persons who placed that trail camera on your property knows with out a doubt they trespassed. I would not let them play dumb as it is the hunter's responsibility to know exactly where he or she can and can not go on any property! It's the law! Ignorance of the law never got anyone out of a ticket.

There are many great Mapping Applications that can be used on any smart phone. It will show the user where they are on anyone's property in real time. OnXhunt is just one application.
With Satellite GPS it will show the user exactly where they are on your property. It clearly shows the Property boundary lines, also lists the onwers of the property, and one can get an address to possibly contact you. It is a digital Plat map. I use this all the time when I seek new land to hunt.

2. Most trespassing laws are administered by the local sheriff and not the local Game warden. I certainly would call both and lodge a big concern with each of them. Again it is the ownership of that hunter to know where they are. It is their responsibility and not yours.

In my state if you wound an animal you must seek permission to pursue it on private land. If permission is not given you can not pursue that animal. On the same token neither can the land owner. So again it is the hunter who must secure all agreements before the hunt.

It is issues like this that give the ethical hunters a black eye. I have no tolerance for ignorance or people like this. I am very explicit what the trespass laws taught in my Hunter Ed Classes. I make darn sure mystudents know what they can and can not do.

A stand placed on a border line just asking for trouble. If you are concerned about any hunter no matter what weapon they use - shooting game on your side of the boundary line, I'd stop it now. You have too much invested in your animals.

While others may not agree -
If it was my land, I certainly would take that camera pronto - HOWEVER - I'd leave a note. Come get your camera, you where trespassing.

I certainly admire your attitude. Nobody wants confrontation. But again ignorance of our hunting laws no matter what state the hunter is in - is for the hunter to know. Not the land owner!

I can also understand if you don't want to remove that camera. But let me suggest you discuss that with your local game warden and or sheriff. They certainly will help you.

JW

Last edited by JW; 10-11-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't seem to have an issue with hunting, or even with the camera on your land, but more so safety for your animals.

Yes there are lots of ways for that stand placement to be legit, you can shoot almost 360 degrees from a stand, so it's POSSIBLE they expect to shoot away from your land.

the trail on the property line tosses doubt on the above statement.

I'd suggest honest conversation, you could leave a note on the truck, camera or stand asking them to stop by. Explain your safety concerns. Decide what you want to do about a shot deer on your land, even shot on their land, but crosses onto your land. Can they go get it, can they go without your permission or do you want to be notified. You are within your legal rights to say they can't come on your land to get a wounded/dead deer, but maybe not ethical.

Start it with friendly talk. Be reasonable and friendly, if they are to, you will probably end up at a good place.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

In contrast to mrbb...yes the camera is on your land but probably only by a couple yards. You could remove it and put it on the tree where the stand is and have every right to do so. But to take it, even leaving a note is a fine line from theft. But is it really hurting anything. It isn't damaging the tree and it was likely placed there to get a better view of the animals using the trail.
As I stated earlier, the person who put the camera there is in the wrong and the ethical thing to do is to speak to you and tell you where he is hunting and to get permission to come onto your property should a wounded animal enter it. Written permission is better because if you have a trespassing issue (from another hunter) this guy could show the permission to the local law enforcement officer and/or CO investigating the owners complaint and not monopolize his time when he could be looking for the real trespasser.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
In contrast to mrbb...yes the camera is on your land but probably only by a couple yards. You could remove it and put it on the tree where the stand is and have every right to do so. But to take it, even leaving a note is a fine line from theft. But is it really hurting anything. It isn't damaging the tree and it was likely placed there to get a better view of the animals using the trail.
As I stated earlier, the person who put the camera there is in the wrong and the ethical thing to do is to speak to you and tell you where he is hunting and to get permission to come onto your property should a wounded animal enter it. Written permission is better because if you have a trespassing issue (from another hunter) this guy could show the permission to the local law enforcement officer and/or CO investigating the owners complaint and not monopolize his time when he could be looking for the real trespasser.
moving the camera onto THERE side of things, means YOU will NOW be trespassing!
as for TAKING the camera, if its ON your property, YES you can, BUT if owner comes to get it back(I always left a note on HOW to reach me) you can there for prove they trespassed, which is many times the hardest part about getting a person fined for trespassing, is proving they did so!
over the yrs I have had many issue's with trespassing, and had many arrested and fined

like I said, before and so have others, its BEST to try and work together peacefully, as property line feuds can be never ending nasty things!
but they do happen , even when best intentions are up front
which is again why its best to find out the laws FIRST before making contact!
Old 10-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think the OP has received all the advice he can use on the issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.