Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads

Old 08-01-2017, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life View Post
I've taken 12 whitetail and 6 elk with the G5 rockport. Never once failed to leave a good blood trail though I'll admit I've seen better on some of them and others it looked like a kill room. I don't know how many whitetail, elk, and moose the old man took with them. He started using them about a year before they were even available as a tester. Got me using them about a year later. Deb primarily uses Tricks. She's one of those archers that doesn't pick a kill zone, she picks a hair. And usually splits it. Dang girl is amazing with a bow.
I would say my one deer was dead/down before the cavity filled to the hole. Mine was also a factory edge which is probably not ideal for whitetail

Your dad definitely liked the montecs and slick tricks. I about had him sold on trying an offset head.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

He was never afraid to try something new. He tested a lot of broadheads over the years. He even went through an expandable stage but that didn't last very long. One of his favorite sayings about a broadhead was, "pretty much any broadhead will kill a deer when it is placed perfectly through both lungs. Even a field tip will kill. The true test of a broadhead is when you make that not so perfect shot and clip the shoulder or back in the deer a little bit and still pass through and leave a good blood trail." The second part of that, most of those big expandable blade brodheads will do the job, the first part, not so much.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life View Post
He was never afraid to try something new. He tested a lot of broadheads over the years. He even went through an expandable stage but that didn't last very long. One of his favorite sayings about a broadhead was, "pretty much any broadhead will kill a deer when it is placed perfectly through both lungs. Even a field tip will kill. The true test of a broadhead is when you make that not so perfect shot and clip the shoulder or back in the deer a little bit and still pass through and leave a good blood trail." The second part of that, most of those big expandable blade brodheads will do the job, the first part, not so much.
Yeah I hate expandables.

I like to assume I'm going to hit the animal in the vitals and lack of penetration is the only problem I'll have if I do that. If I'm hitting deer in the guts thats my problem not the broadhead.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckscamp View Post
Stingers fly like field tips and have great cutting diameter. Lots of luck with them but not much talk about them.
Stingers are a great head. They are the best flying BH I ever used. they don't leave a good bloodtrail tho. I'm going to give the Ramcats a try this year. I shot a 8pt last year with a 125gr Stinger and had a hard time finding it, a liver shot. Not much blood at all.

HJ
Old 08-03-2017, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

man the Ramcat Diamondback sure looks a lot like the muzzy trocar.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport View Post
man the Ramcat Diamondback sure looks a lot like the muzzy trocar.
yes they do. I think they are single bevel ???? I'm messing with the regular 125gr ramcats 1.5 cut. they look nasty and they fly nice. I gotta see what they do on a critter.

HJ
Old 08-04-2017, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
yes they do. I think they are single bevel ???? I'm messing with the regular 125gr ramcats 1.5 cut. they look nasty and they fly nice. I gotta see what they do on a critter.

HJ
Looks like they are single bevel. Ive never tried one but the ramcats look like a great design to me. I bet they work great.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

I'm one that once I find something and try it and it works I stay with it sure there is always room for improvement but it takes something more than new for me to change up
Old 08-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using Rage heads mostly for a few years now, and have had good results. I, too, was for years a fixed blade only kind of guy. Finally tried some rages, and was pleasantly surprised. I have also tried, and liked the Dead Ringer Trauma...a whole lot of blade, and I experienced good penetration on the two does that I killed with them. I plan to continue using Rages...they've penetrated plenty for me, produced really good blood trails, and have done nothing but impress.

I am by no means saying that I don't think fixed blades are good...they are really good heads, and they perform fantastically when tuned correctly. But, I have had no reason to go back after the experiences that I have had with the mechanical heads that I have used.

Also, after this eclipse coming through Tennessee today, I should have the odds in my favor with all of the blind deer that have been staring at the sun all afternoon...
Old 09-26-2017, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzy 3 blade (100 gr.) here, the chisel point gets it done!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.