Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need advice for a sheep hunt >

Need advice for a sheep hunt

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need advice for a sheep hunt

Old 07-24-2017, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by hunters_life
In reality, no one has even come close to answering the gentleman's question. What he is asking has absolutely nothing to do with ethics. He is asking from people with experience hunting in windy conditions at range. And nothing long range at that if he is considering 40-50 max yardage. He is asking for information on wind effects on various broadheads. To me, it would be unethical for him not to ask these questions. Now granted, his first post didn't specify his range limitations so Oldtimr was point on correct in his answer. But his answer didn't include anything helpful for the gentleman's question.

Now for nube, what blades are you currently using? I'm not a fan of any of the mechanical broadheads though some do work and work well, to me it is just something else to possibly fail which I try to eliminate all those possibilities that I can. Especially when going on a hunt that is as expensive as the one you are planning. We get some fairly stout winds around here at times and I have found that the Slick Trick broadheads seem to fly fine in them. Wind will affect anything you shoot. But they seem to fair the wind better than most other fixed blade broadheads out there. They penetrate exceptionally well and because of the angle of their blades they create a pretty devastating wound path. I've never had a non pass through with them and I don't shoot anything special Bow wise. Whatever you choose, and from your questions I am sure you will do this, make sure you practice with them and know your setup better than you know the back of your hand. Slick trick sells practice blades as do most of the reputable broadhead manufacturers. Good luck on your hunt. Hopefully this helps you.
Excuse me, but your reading comprehension must be lacking tonight because he was told to use a fixed blade BH that flies best in his setup. Seeing as how each setup will work differently that means he'll have to try several different ones if he doesn't like his present head just like if he was trying new loads in a rifle. He was also told to stay within his maximum distance limits each day because only he knows what that is and the weather he runs into each day will tell him how far he can shoot and he shouldn't exceed that. What don't you understand about those comments that would lead you to say nobody has answered his question?

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-24-2017 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2017, 08:25 PM
Spike

Hunterslife thank you and really is the way I am thinking but like I said I do not have experience with wind.

Funny thing today tho is it was raining and had 35mph wind gusts so I went shooting.
At 60 yards I was a whole 10 inches in a sidewind. At 40 yards was about 4 inches. 30 and 20 yards was not enough to worry about. It taught me a lot.
My group on the 60 yards was about a 6 inch group. Not great but I have not shot in a while and never in wind like this. I feel like my max range today was about 50 yards on animal and was consistant.

That was with field point though and hopefully when I get some broadheads tuned up I will give it a go again.

To answer one question, it is in November and very cold. It could be minus 15 or more.

I plan on using a Grizztrick or a Grim Reaper Razortip for this sheep hunt.

Pros on the Grizztrick are passthroughs. Negatives are a smaller hole and wind drift possibilities.

Grim Reaper the pros are less chance for wind drift. Negatives are less penetration and a chance for a broadhead failure in opening.

I also think a fixed will be better if I do make a bad shot and hit it not in the most ideal areas of the body.
Those are my thoughts and what I am thinking. It is nice to talk to guys with experience about these types of things.

Topgun--- Again.... this is not an ethics thing. Its about wind drift and use of broadheads. I live in Alberta. I have shot 9 bighorns in my life at the age of 41. This draw I have is one of the top draws in the province and the chance to shoot a 180-200" ram is pretty good. I will never get this draw again. When I hunt I do things right.
I have hunted all around the world on multiple hunts. I'm headed for Marco polo next November in fact. I have some experience hunting and have killed more Boone and crocket bucks than most people see in a lifetime. I know about ethics so you are preaching to the wrong guy. You can twist that however you want and types like you usually do.

Anyone with some experience on shooting high wind and the use of broadheads is greatly appreciated. Any thoughts on anything to try out I am open to ideas and I am not afraid to try it out or take suggestions. Thanks for all those that have given some info
Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

nube, give the Slick Trick Standards a try. They have a smaller profile than the Grizz and buck the wind better than most any other broadhead I have tried out. A few years ago the old man was asked to try out a new design. It was the Solid broadhead legend or something like that. He had nothing but praise for it as far as accuracy and all. But the price they were considering was pretty up there. As far as you thinking the Grizz or any of the slick tricks having a smaller wound channel, I have never had a problem with that. They bust out a pretty substantial exit and I have yet to have less than an excellent blood trail. As far as those reapers, that is a lot of blade to push through 2 sets of ribs. Unless you are planning on putting them on some seriously heavy arrows, I wouldn't try them. Takes a lot of energy to push almost an inch and a half of blade through an animal. That's just my opinion, I'm not the archery expert the old man was but I have a pretty firm grasp on the stuff.
As for your statement Topgun3006, my comprehension is just fine. The gentleman asked about broadheads and wind. Not about what shoots best in his setup. He was asking about peoples experiences with different broadheads in higher wind situations. That has absolutely nothing to do with his setup. He is trying to pin down a broadhead to try that people have experience with in windy situations. He seems perfectly fine in his experience level to know the other stuff as far as shooting within his range limits and knowing how to set his rig up.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:48 PM
Spike

Thanks and I will look into the Standards. I'd rather have an arrow go through both sides than not
Old 07-25-2017, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry, but I figured as experienced as you are that you'd be practicing at all different kinds of distances and wind speeds like you just mentioned well before your hunt and that's why I kept repeating that we answered your question! I still maintain that all of what we're talking about definitely involves ethics in doing your practicing in all the elements and knowing exactly what you can do on any particular day depending on what the weather is with your particular setup, so again sorry if you and hunters_life don't feel that is correct! Now practice, practice, practice and go kill a monster without freezing to death up there!