Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need advice for a sheep hunt >

Need advice for a sheep hunt

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need advice for a sheep hunt

Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Spike

Default Need advice for a sheep hunt

Hey guys, I'm new here and trying to get some thoughts on a future sheep hunt I have this november.
I have always shot fixed blade broadheads but I have a sheep hunt this winter for bighorns in Alberta Canada. From what I hear longer shots are possible and it is real windy. I will be using VAP arrows because of this but I am worried about what to use for broadheads. I like a fixed broadhead for better penetration at longer distances and also if the wind messes up a shot or I make a bad shot I wonder if a fixed broadhead is best?
What are your thoughts on broadhead types? Should I use Fixed or not keeping in mind the wind and possible longer shots and the penetration I will get? I'm open to ideas
Thanks
Old 07-23-2017, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Long distance shots with a bow especially in windy weather seems irresponsible to me no matter what kind of broad heads you are using. Sticking a Big horn sheep anywhere but in the vitals where they live is almost a sure loss of a wounded animal.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:57 AM
Spike

Yes you are correct on that Oldtimr and we try to do our best to not go beyond what we are capable. And even at times things don't end up as the way we want them to. We all know this and understand that...but with the right equipment we can try and make that chance of loss even less and turn something that could have been a bad deal into a happy ending. Heck things can go sideways at 20 yards easy enough....
Just trying to get a little info on what might be best for this situation and didn't want to get into an ethics debate. There is a lot of experienced guys out there and some thoughts on a few of my questions might be helpful.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would shoot what ever head fly's best from your set up
if you like to test in cross winds
get a leaf blower and have someone blow a cross wind at assorted distances both YOU from target, and them off to the side with blower, (NO need to use MAX wind here either, but it can be a way to see what fly's differently!
I personally am NOT a fan of long shots with a bow, yet I know countless guys that take them and have success!
its a personal game to be honest, stick to your comfort zone and set distances you WON"T shot past and stick to them, shooting anything rifle bow or?? past your skill and comfort level, will never be good more times than not!, why risk it, and YES I know a sheep hunt isn';t cheap
I prefer to do what's right than not, and I practice what I preach, I shot a wounded buck a small buck on a very costly Alberta deer hunt, due to, to me it was the right thing to do
being right/fair/ethical isn't always cheap LOL
Old 07-24-2017, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Long shots at any game are NOT the way to hunt with any type of equipment. If you can't get close enough to ensure as close as possible to a 100% chance at a kill, then don't shoot! Use the fixed blade and don't shoot any further than you know you can put the arrow in a pie plate no matter what the weather conditions are!
PS: You question itself is definitely an ethics question and you got correct answers whether they are what you wanted to hear or not!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-24-2017 at 06:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Spike

Well some of you are taking this as an ethics thing. I'm not asking what to use because I want to be flinging arrows at impossible distances all day long. I know what the limits are. You could say the same thing for guys shooting out of a treestand at 20 yards or shooting a 40lb bow or a million different scenorios...
I'm asking some of you with some experience on sheep hunting what has worked and most inportantly if you have had experience with wind and longer shots. Some suggestions to would be great to have less chance of any screw ups.

Would you ethics police prefere I don't do any homework on the subject and possibly go make a bad shot because of equipment choices?

So no I don't find it an ethics question at all. I know my limits and what I consider a long shot at 40-50 yards others may not think so.
It's a question about wind and what to put on the end of an arrow. The rest of the story is up to me in whether I pull the trigger or not on a specific shot....
Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Please don't be a smartazz just because you got answers you didn't care for! It's not becoming, especially from a person that is brand new to the site! You got your answer from me and the others to shoot what flies best from your setup and if you don't like our answers then too bad! YOU should know what your limits are with ANY equipment you're using and asking anyone out on the net just makes it sound to me like you're asking for people to condone stretching the distance past the limit you should have for yourself. When you're on the hunt you'll know what the conditions are each day and what you can do or not do depending on the distance and wind!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-24-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2017, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Please don't be a smartazz just because you got answers you didn't care for! It's not becoming, especially from a person that is brand new to the site! You got your answer from me and the others to shoot what flies best from your setup and if you don't like our answers then too bad! YOU should know what your limits are with ANY equipment you're using and asking anyone out on the net just makes it sound to me like you're asking for people to condone stretching the distance past the limit you should have for yourself. When you're on the hunt you'll know what the conditions are each day and what you can do or not do depending on the distance and wind!
You are the one who seems not to like other's answers. Just because the person is new to this forum, does not make them new to hunting. I would guess quite the opposite if he is serious enough to head to Alberta to hunt sheep, not only $ involved but being in physical shape and mental shape for that kind of hunt. I do not have an answer for the op, I live 50 miles from the Missouri Breaks in Montana, I have friends who have drawn this coveted tag and hunted with a bow, successfully. Do your research, perhaps reach out to a forum by your bow maker and see what other's have used for sheep, goat, even mulies and elk, they are animals where the wind blows. One correction I will make to your original post, I am guessing you will be hunting this FALL...not winter....fall will be cold and snowy enough in Alberta I am sure, good luck with your hunt.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mthusker
You are the one who seems not to like other's answers. Just because the person is new to this forum, does not make them new to hunting. I would guess quite the opposite if he is serious enough to head to Alberta to hunt sheep, not only $ involved but being in physical shape and mental shape for that kind of hunt. I do not have an answer for the op, I live 50 miles from the Missouri Breaks in Montana, I have friends who have drawn this coveted tag and hunted with a bow, successfully. Do your research, perhaps reach out to a forum by your bow maker and see what other's have used for sheep, goat, even mulies and elk, they are animals where the wind blows. One correction I will make to your original post, I am guessing you will be hunting this FALL...not winter....fall will be cold and snowy enough in Alberta I am sure, good luck with your hunt.
Say what?! So why are you commenting at all if you have no answers for the OP? All the answers that were given by the members, including myself, were right on the button whether the OP liked them or not! There were also no comments that stated the OP was new to hunting, so I have no idea where you came up with that one since I said he was "brand new to the site" and not to hunting!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-24-2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

In reality, no one has even come close to answering the gentleman's question. What he is asking has absolutely nothing to do with ethics. He is asking from people with experience hunting in windy conditions at range. And nothing long range at that if he is considering 40-50 max yardage. He is asking for information on wind effects on various broadheads. To me, it would be unethical for him not to ask these questions. Now granted, his first post didn't specify his range limitations so Oldtimr was point on correct in his answer. But his answer didn't include anything helpful for the gentleman's question.

Now for nube, what blades are you currently using? I'm not a fan of any of the mechanical broadheads though some do work and work well, to me it is just something else to possibly fail which I try to eliminate all those possibilities that I can. Especially when going on a hunt that is as expensive as the one you are planning. We get some fairly stout winds around here at times and I have found that the Slick Trick broadheads seem to fly fine in them. Wind will affect anything you shoot. But they seem to fair the wind better than most other fixed blade broadheads out there. They penetrate exceptionally well and because of the angle of their blades they create a pretty devastating wound path. I've never had a non pass through with them and I don't shoot anything special Bow wise. Whatever you choose, and from your questions I am sure you will do this, make sure you practice with them and know your setup better than you know the back of your hand. Slick trick sells practice blades as do most of the reputable broadhead manufacturers. Good luck on your hunt. Hopefully this helps you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.