Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Free...I think not. >

Scent Free...I think not.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Free...I think not.

Old 10-29-2003, 06:05 PM

Default Scent Free...I think not.

I am in need of some more ideas. I just bought a new pair of rubber hunting boots for some serious added grams when I head back to my old Iowa stompin' grounds in a few weeks. They are advertised as ' scent free' , and are FAAAAAR from it. It goes without saying that if I am catching wind of these things, whitetail will be snortin' in Texas.

What can I do to get this scent off of these things? I' ve scrubbed them with scent free detergent, put wafers inside the boots along with pine branches in the bag ....it' s helping, but not eliminating.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scent Free...I think not.

i got the same problem my b-day was monday and got a pair, i smelled them and it smelled like a tire factory! i have them hanging upside down outside and thought of burying them in dirt for a few days or a leaf pile!
Old 10-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My rubber boots I bought last year smelled the same way. All the steps you are taking will help remove the " new" oder but I think leaving them outside will help a lot.

Also, when wearing them walk through some creeks.

Also you might want to consider wearing boot staps that are laced with some kind of appropriate scent. Something like " curiousity" or maybe a synthetic food spray to serve as a cover.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:31 PM

Monster, I am 100% with ya...how in the world do these guys sleep at night calling them ' scent free' ?!?!?! When they arrived they were in sealed plastic and I could still smell ' em, so you can imagine once I broke the seal....dang. I was honestly kinda irked about it, as I expected to be able to wear them right away without worry...nope.

Good idea about burying them, that might be the only thing that will get this stink out of ' em.

Keep ' em coming if ya' ll have any more ideas!

Thanks again.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:23 AM

I let mine soak for 2days in earth scent detergent. Killed the rubber smell.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:15 AM

Hate to say this,but... Rubber is rubber, will always smell like rubber. Nothing gets in, nothing gets out. So.. they will always smell like rubber. I' ve had my rubber boots for 5 years now, still smell like rubber,lol. I' ve walked thru muck with them before walking to stand, they still smell,lol.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:22 AM

Try scrubbing them with baking soda. I heard this from another site. They said there is a " release" agent on the boots so they don' t stick to their forms when they make them.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:40 AM

The only thing that is scent free is

nothing

guys!
Old 10-30-2003, 08:00 AM

Sorry...I am looking for something to lessen the smell of my new rubber boots.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I will try the baking soda and then the soak, hopefully that will remedy the problem.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:26 AM

I just went through the same thing.

I buried them for 2 days.......

Washed and SCRUBBED with baking soda pase

Scrubbed with dirty stinky rag I found buried in yard

Sprayed with scent killer

Had them outside for 2 weeks now....

They still smell like rubber - I even called LaCrosse about it and they offered no help or advice.........

I bought the boots 3 weeks ago and I ve tried everything as you can see......

Quick Reply: Scent Free...I think not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.