Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Westvaco Land in WV >

Westvaco Land in WV

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Westvaco Land in WV

Old 08-29-2002, 03:36 PM

Default Westvaco Land in WV

I am new to the this forum so please bear with me. According to the WV DNR web site there is approximately 350,000 acres of Westvaco property open to the public for hunting. All that is required is $5.00 for a two year permit. I have my permit, but the office that I purchased the permit from doesn't have any additional information as to the whereabouts of their land! Can anybody help me? I am from Pennsylvania and was hoping to be able to hunt a Westvaco property somewhere within districts 1, 3 or 6. If I could find a property somewhere in district 1 that would be ideal. There aren't many WMA's in this district that are of any size and in close proximity to my home, so I am concerned about hunting pressure. I mainly bow hunt, but I will also be gun hunting. Thanks again. Jimmymac
Old 09-01-2002, 06:08 AM

Default RE: Westvaco Land in WV

Come on guys and gals! Help me out here. Someone out there probably already hunts on Westvaco land. Are you keeping it to yourself? I promise that I will be a good boy! Help please. Thanks. Jimmymac
Old 09-03-2002, 03:14 PM

I guess that no one in this forum hunts on Westvaco land in West Virginia. One or two of you have got to be keeping these spots to yourself. PLEASE HELP,...and thanks.
Jimmymac
Old 09-03-2002, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Jimmymac, I hunt in Ohio on that land, which is Mead paper, that just transformed into Westvaco. Use you search engine and find their web site and write or contact them. They are always responsive or contact your dnr for the most up to date maps. Ruffhunter
Old 09-03-2002, 07:08 PM

I used to hunt on Westvaco land in WV, They have a huge parcel of land between Romney and Moorefield WV on River road. A ton of deer and some good ones too! Good luck..

DL
Old 09-03-2002, 08:20 PM

Call their main office in Luke Maryland. I posted the number before
for you but someone got rid of my post. Call Maryland information
and ask for Westvaco in either Luke or Westernport Maryland. They
should be able to tell you about their WV. property.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:57 AM

I hunt wesvaco land in wv actually we have 3400 acres of it leased in randolph co. I dont know of any wesvaco around here that isnt already leased up.

Old 09-04-2002, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

jimmymac first of all here is the phone number that dsheally posted earlier: 301-359-3311.

Okay here is just a suggestion, try what I do, I simply knock on doors and ask permission to hunt. I will agree that you will get more no's than yes's, but if you are dressed decently and are polite, you will be surprised. One thing I do is carry permission slips that I sign one copy for them which states that I release them from any liability for injuries or damages that may happen to me or my property while hunting and it also states that I will accept full responsibilty for any damages I may accidently do to thier property. I have gotten permission to hunt several properties over the years no one else could because of this.

Remember to be polite even if they say no, there is always next year and people do remember. When doing this you represent every hunter in the world to them, so make sure you leave them with a good impression.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 09-06-2002, 04:12 AM

I would like to sincerely thank you all who responded to my post. With your help I have been able to make contact with some folks that are in a position to supply me with the information I need. I haven't nailed anything down yet, but it seems it is only a matter of time. Thanks againto all.
Jimmymac
Old 08-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Spike

Default Permits

How do I get a permit to hunt on WESTVACO land. Our family sold 650 acres in Wirt County, WV, to you in the 60s and I still have property that is contiguous that I would like for me and my children to be able to hunt on.