Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New to bow hunting >

New to bow hunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to bow hunting

Old 09-04-2017, 05:34 AM
Spike

Default New to bow hunting

Hey guys, I'm new to bow hunting and I have a few questions. Hopefully I can get some useful information.

I was wondering if deer will actually eat walnuts that are falling from a tree in pieces. I'm assuming the squirrels are busting them up and the extra meat of the walnut is falling to the ground. When I was scouting I noticed a bunch of busted up walnuts all over the ground. Is this an area I should consider placing my tree stand? Also a few white acorn trees in this area, but nothing falling yet. Also, I washed my hunting clothes in activated carbon. What are your thoughts on my questions? Thanks guys (26 days until PA bow season!!!)
Old 09-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Not positive but I think too much work for these guys. It's amazing to me how they would walk away from a pile of corn.

If your new to hunting in general, I always liked to go by tracks and rubs. I like areas where I see fresh tracks and places maybe not fresh rubs but rubs in general. To learn how to tell the age of tracks, your local parks where no hunting is allowed and is a country club for deer is a great place to learn. Btw, learn a lot about hunting in general. Just take your shots with a camera. Sitting in a stand like you're hunting works well.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

hey guy...not trying to be smart ,,but it don't matter what's on the ground,,it only matters if they're coming in enough to warrant you hangin over it..if they're using it,, it ain't hard to tell..if you see poop then they're using it...actually i like to see more than a couple piles and should be fairly fresh...careful goin in and stinkin up the place with leather boots...good luck..if u see the poop it's just a matter of time...i'd love to come up there and show ya..lol

Last edited by davidg; 09-04-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't wait for archery season to start. I'll try and give you some advice. The best thing I can tell you not knowing your area is to walk the ridge lines and benches (shelves on the mountain sides) and check for deer sign. It may be a bit too early for rubs and scrapes so you'll have to look for trails and droppings. A topo map of your area along with your scouting will give you a good idea of feeding and bedding areas. You want to set up to intercept them coming and going with bumping them while you get to your stand.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:20 AM
Spike

I found a few places the other day when I was scouting. I started to look at topo maps more and it really does work. The only problem I'm having is figuring out bedding areas. I found trails and dropping, but the only thing I could possibly find for bedding is really thick and it's about 200 yrds away from a field and a stream. I will probably try and post up in the middle or near the stream. When I say thick, it's very thick.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
Old 09-05-2017, 05:22 AM
Spike

One more thing, I'm stuck on morning or afternoon hunts. Any ideas how I should go about this? Thanks
Old 09-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well if you've found the only "thick" area around it is likely a bedding area. Don't go messing around in there or you will spook the deer out. Entering a bedding area is risky at best.
My advice is to determine the wind direction and set up downwind of some well used trails.As more morning or evening. I have had good success with both. And as I've grown older I prefer afternoon/evening hunts. I still hunt the mornings but I also like sleeping in...lol. Trail cams are a good way to tell when deer are moving past your stand. Also, when can you go in without bumping deer. Example: if you have to go through or by the feeding area then hunt the evening..
Old 09-05-2017, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Bargene26
One more thing, I'm stuck on morning or afternoon hunts. Any ideas how I should go about this? Thanks
Yeah, mornings are harder before the clock gets turned back and easier to hunt evenings. Then it flips. All due to the time of work vs the time in the woods before sun up and sun down. One other bit of advice I will give you, during the rut, you want to be in the woods as much as possible even if it means going at 8 am til 10 am. Get in a tree. If you're in a tree and see a group of Doe's that pass by say 100yrds away. Quietly move over to their trail. During the rut, many times you will see bucks follow their trail and you're too far away. The noise you make won't be too bad to move. I prefer the old loggy stands because their one piece design is so quiet and portable for climbing. I've climbed trees with decent eight points just 40 50 years away in thickets before. I now own 3 of them due to the fact they no longer make them.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 AM
Spike

I was thinking more of the afternoon hunts as well. I guess it will be more learning along the way type of hunt this year. I also was told the rut was awesome and exciting to watch. I can't wait for the first day. Bow hunting takes a lot of work from what I'm told, I'm so use to rifle season and the deer are running to stay alive lol i have four different locations figured out. All for wind directions and deer possible moving more at another location.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Spike

One other question. Rain gear, should you wash it with the scent blocker soap or spray. I never hear anyone talk about treating or scent from rain gear. I just figured the material wouldn't hold much odder, only if you sweat a lot l. Any information would be great.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.