Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

gutting a deer on your property,good or bad for hunting?? your stories! thanks!

Old 10-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default gutting a deer on your property,good or bad for hunting?? your stories! thanks!

my buddy shot a buck today on the hill 50 acres or so i hunt, i have 20 other spots to go to so should i lay off for a while or does it really matter?? have you had good luck under these conditions or did i stink the whole hill up??
Old 10-28-2003, 07:50 PM

Default RE: gutting a deer on your property,good or bad for hunting?? your stories! thanks!

Got ' yotes around your hunting area? If so the gut pile will be gone tomorrow and only a bit of the scent remaining. If not, in my own personal experience I have seen another younger deer walk right up to a gut pile and sniff it. As it happened, It was my first day in the area and since the gutpile was behind some high grass, I couldn' t tell what she was sniffing around at until I got down from my treestand that afternoon and went to see what had interested her.

Her reaction on smelling it? A mild snort and half up tail and she trotted away. I couldn' t tell you how a veteran buck might react, but I suspect he would avoid it altogether because of the likely hood of predators.

Good luck and good hunting!

Tracy
Old 10-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gutting a deer on your property,good or bad for hunting?? your stories! thanks!

The gutpile won' t effect much - if anything.

If you went in and got it with a 4 wheeler or spent alot of time in the area looking for it - it might be wise to lay off a few days.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

My biggest buck to date had his nose in the gutpile of one I had shot the day before; wasn' t alarmed a bit until my Rocket Aerohead-tipped Gold Tip sliced through his front shoulder!
Old 10-28-2003, 10:24 PM

I went two days after I shot a doe. Didn' t see a thing, but I don' t know if I' ve ever seen/heard that many crows before. They were in trees around the gutpile, and man were they loud!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:59 AM

monster throw the hides about 100yds frim your stand my cousin killed about 3 deer last year and threw the hides right down from my stand and i saw about 5 or 6 deer coming to check it out they get curious and then check it out you might want to try it it worked for me [:-]
Old 10-29-2003, 08:32 AM

It won' t hurt a thing or at least that' s been my experience.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

seems to me that it would make sense: smell of fresh (or otherwise for that matter) meat = predator

Old 10-29-2003, 09:13 AM

I don' t think it will hurt anything at all. I have a buddy that shot a nice doe one day, and in the middle of gutting it out, a very nice buck showed up to see what was going on. Wound up with two gut piles next to each other.