Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 River hunting question?? >

River hunting question??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

River hunting question??

Old 10-28-2003, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default River hunting question??

Okay I just set up a new stand down by the river on a peice of property I am hunting this year, the land basically rolls downhill to the river and both times I have scouted this out in the afternoon the wind has been blowing from where my stand is out over the river in the afternoon, is this what would be considered the prevailing wind in this kind of setup or was this not a normal thing? I have never hunted a piece of property right by a river before so figured I would ask before walking all the way in and have the wind shift right before the sun goes down.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:01 AM

Default RE: River hunting question??

Tazman, hunted a river last year, It was my experience that the river did not affect the wind. Keep in mind though it was a small river, a larger one may have different effects.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

kybuck I know normally the wind will move downhill in the afternoon as things start to cool down, I just wondered if the river would have an effect or not, it is not a huge river, but it is far from small.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Taz, have you had any luck this year yet? Sorry to go off topic.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Taz,

If you' re hunting near the Rapp then the wind is usually going to be blowing down the river. The winds from the fronts that come through usually come from the mountains and run down the drainages. The prevailing winds around here are usally from the N NW.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:32 PM

Taz, the river I hunted on was probably 40 - 50 yds wide at its widest point, the prevailing wind here comes from the S - SW so when I hunted the river The wind was in my face blowing out over the river. I actually saw 2 bucks swim across about 100yds down river from me. Thought that was kind of cool.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Johnny I have been out maybe a total of 10 times this year, between the weather and my elbow having some really bad days I have not put a tenth of the time in the woods I would have normally. I hunted a few days with captbrad and swampdog down near Danville last week and actually had a doe about 10-15 yards broadside and she busted me when I started to draw on her. I have seen quite a few deer this year, mainly doe, no big boys though. My elbow is feeling half way decent today so I am going to hunt this afternoon on the river.

o2bhntn it is the Rappahanock, glad to hear that is the prevailing wind, I should be good to go today.

kybuck I have seen deer swim a river a mile wide when the dogs were running them and have seen them do the same when the dogs weren' t. From what I have seen water is not a real obstacle to a deer.