Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2 cam or not 2 cam? >

2 cam or not 2 cam?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 cam or not 2 cam?

Old 10-28-2003, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default 2 cam or not 2 cam?

I Presently shoot a Mathews Q2 xl and have been debating on getting a new bow next season. I have been planning on getting a new LX or something close depending on what Mathews releases next year. But lately I have been debating on trying out a patirot dually.
My questions are these, Are 1 cam bows in general louder, and prouduce more hand shock than 2 cam bows and are 2 cam bows generally more forgiving than 1 cam?
I realize Mr Mc pherson would say NO in giant letters but I' ve seen many bow testers say things like " this bow is quiet for a single cam" implying 1 cam bows are noisy.
I' ve also heard that a " tuned" 2 cam bow in more forgiving than a one cam bow.
Also does the nock point have straight line travel on a " tuned" 2 cam bow?

Lastly how well does the pat dual stay in tune? I' m still leaning toward the Mathews but It wouldn' t take much for me to make the switch. Thanks Jim
Old 10-29-2003, 05:43 PM

Default RE: 2 cam or not 2 cam?

i have a 2 cam bow and a one cam bow. my experience is that a one cam bow is quieter and easier to keep tuned. but a two cam bow is much faster. but you sacrifice some quietness for the speed. they are also a little bit harder to tune. you might have to have a bow shop help you.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

A tuned 2 cam bow is much more forgiveing than a one cam bow , especialy with broadheads . One cam bows are quieter . Do a search on this subject by our member pinwheel and you will be elightened . If you start looking at them , one I would sugest you check out would be the mv2 by martin either with fury or fury-x cams . Darton , Merlin , and to some extent Hoyt [thou not as refined as the other 2 IMHO] have what alot of pepole consider the best of both systems .
Old 10-29-2003, 06:19 PM

Get the Dually! Fast, forgiving and very accurate. Stays tuned a very long time once the string and cables are shot in and it can be set up to be reasonably quiet. I love mine, it generates a little over 10 ft. lbs. K.E above the peak draw weight at my 29 inch draw. Mine is set at 66 pounds and it does 254fps with a measured 540 grain arrow, take those shoulder shots and tie em' up!!
Old 10-29-2003, 08:42 PM

I just got a new Pro40 Dually and let me tell you what...I now firmly believe that single cams suck. I have shot single cam bows for years but they do not compare to bowtechs dually cams. It' s just more forgiving, faster, and more balanced. Look at it this way, a bow with a cam on top and on bottom creates equilibrium which equates to greater balance and thus onto forgiveness. Yes, it does take some time to tune but that time is worth the trade off.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:13 AM

Don' t overlook the Darton. They have about the most underrated bows on the market. Their bow' s are considered a single cam but they are truly not in my opinion. The wheel on the other side is not round thus ensuring level nock travel upon release. Hoyt' s new Cam and a half tries to approximate this also. But Darton was the originator. As far as tuning, nothing could be easier than the Darton system. There are tuning marks on the cam and wheel that give you a quick visual reference whether your bow is in tune or not. On two cam bows it is very difficult to tell if the cams are breaking over at the same time or not, but with the Darton system, it' s no problem. I' m not sure why tuning marks haven' t been employed on two cam setups. At least that way, when a guy is trying to tune his bow, he can get that step out of the way quickly. Darton' s are also very quiet. I was a Hoyt and Mathews shooter for years, but since I bought the Darton I can' t imagine going back.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Jimiac about the darton being a nice bow , but dont get scared about tuneing a 2 cam bow , like walks said once they are in time they stay in time much longer than a one cam bow does [ yes one cams go out of time , and quickly I might add] and are easy to get perfectly timed with the " creep tune " method .I' ll say this , if you shoot a dual cam bow you' ll never want to shoot a single cam again . I feel sorry for the guys and galls that got introduced into this sport during the socalled reigne of the single cams .
Old 10-30-2003, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I decided two years ago when I got rid of my last single cam bow that I' d never have another. Yes, as a group, they are quieter than duals, but that doesn' t make them any less of a pain in the ___. When you get right down to the nitty gritty, single cams need MORE maintenance than duals. That long string... might as well call ' em creepers. Dang near wore out my Bowmaster twisting that blasted string to keep my cam in time and my draw length right.

Yeah, you can put a low creep string on a single and it will cut down on how much twisting you have to do. On the other hand, put the same stuff on a dually and you STILL wind up with less problems.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ll " NEVER" go back to twin cams again!! The solocam is here to stay!!
Old 10-31-2003, 01:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ll NEVER go back to solo cams again!! The dual cams never left...for a good reason![:-]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.