HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Wisconsin non-resident public land hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/413082-wisconsin-non-resident-public-land-hunt.html)

jjgaw 04-11-2017 06:40 AM

Wisconsin non-resident public land hunt

Hey all,

A friend and I are planning a Wisconsin public land bow hunting trip for the dates nov 11-14th. We are from Indiana and just looking to try something new. We want to stay around central, and southern parts of the state. We will be camping and willing to walk long distances and be relying heavily on calling and rattling.

Can anyone recommend a good county or public land area we should focus our efforts on. I have done a lot of research and not found much helpful info on public land hunting up there.

muzzlestuffer 04-11-2017 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by jjgaw (Post 4300694)
Hey all,

A friend and I are planning a Wisconsin public land bow hunting trip for the dates nov 11-14th. We are from Indiana and just looking to try something new. We want to stay around central, and southern parts of the state. We will be camping and willing to walk long distances and be relying heavily on calling and rattling.

Can anyone recommend a good county or public land area we should focus our efforts on. I have done a lot of research and not found much helpful info on public land hunting up there.

I've never been there although I have friends there I would call the dnr and talk to them they know where to go !

jjgaw 04-12-2017 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer (Post 4300703)
I've never been there although I have friends there I would call the dnr and talk to them they know where to go !

Thanks I'll definitely give it a try here soon

muzzlestuffer 04-12-2017 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by jjgaw (Post 4300856)
Thanks I'll definitely give it a try here soon

I always do my research first and have your maps and highlighters ready when you call that way you don't tie them up too much.

ahunter55 05-01-2017 05:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I've bowhunted all over Ws. for years but not for 6 years now. Laws have changed on different areas to bowhunt in the state. I prefer the northern part of the state (fewer Deer but some good ones). State Forest near Millston & Black River Falls had more Deer when I hunted it but not much for larger Bucks.. TONS of National Forests & regardless to what people say, we always had good hunting. My son & I are going this year but 1st week of Oct. just for a change & mid state (he's making all the arrangements). State Forests, National Forests & Lumber Company land is available. Necedah & its wildlife mgmt. areas, Eagle River, Boulder Jct., Iron River, Hayward, Black River Falls all have lots of Public Forests & I've bowhunted them all. Good Luck. I have never had a bad trip to Ws. & I have had TONS. I've seen some HUGE Bucks but never was a horn hunter.. I have taken many Deer & my 1st Horns came from Ws. in 1964.

peakrut 07-10-2017 01:06 AM

Walworth County

schl4444 07-29-2017 02:35 PM

Will bow hunt

Originally Posted by jjgaw (Post 4300694)
Hey all,

I live in Wi, and hunted public ground many year successfully before I bought my farm. Anyways I would highly recommend the Tiffany Public hunting grounds. Not much hunting pressure for bow hunting. It is river bottom with the Chippewa river running through it. There are high oak ridges in some places. A small flat bottom boat helps for access and getting your deer out. Would recommend hunting in mus Oct through Nov. Mosquitos are brutal in early season. Some very good deer in this area. If your interested you can send me a PM for more info.

Berserker 07-30-2017 07:23 PM

Farther north less people, I would guess. Southern WI would not be a tourist destination for me, but rather someplace to hunt if I lived local. But I am sure bow has less people out than gun.

I would look for a forum with WI people. Not sure of one off hand